HPV affects both men and women

Dear Dr. Peg,
Does HPV affect men?

HPV (Human Papilloma Virus) is a virus that causes genital warts and cancer. It is an equal-opportunity germ: The answer to your question is yes.

There are more than 100 types of HPV. Some of the types cause warts, including genital warts. Some types cause cancer of the cervix, vagina, vulva, penis or anus. HPV is passed from one person to another through skin-to-skin contact. This usually happens during sex, especially vaginal or anal intercourse.

HPV is the most common sexually transmitted infection at UNM, or anywhere for that matter. More than 6 million people in the U.S. get infected with HPV every year. The bad news is that it is usually invisible, and condom use won’t protect you. The good news is that, most of the time, HPV infection clears up on its own.

Genital warts are rough bumps that can appear anywhere on or around the genitals or anus. They are usually lighter than skin color and can be single or grouped. If you get warts, they can be treated. Make an appointment at Student Health and Counseling and we’ll either freeze them off or hit them with chemical warfare, depending on where they are. Once the warts are gone, the virus might still stay with you for a while, but 90 percent of the time, it goes away within two years. During that time, if warts reappear, they can be destroyed again.

Genital cancer is harder to find and more dangerous, naturally. Cancer of the cervix in women is the most common cancer caused by HPV and, unfortunately, it can happen in young women. That is why it is very important for women to have annual gynecological exams and Pap smears. In men, HPV has been associated with cancer of the penis. In both men and women, HPV can cause cancer of the anus.

You might have heard of the HPV vaccine. This is the very first cancer vaccine. First approved in 2006, the HPV vaccine is now recommended as routine for girls starting at age 11. The vaccine targets four of the cancer-causing types of HPV and is sure to decrease cervical cancer rates in the future. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have recently approved the HPV vaccine for boys and men as well, although the vaccine didn’t quite make it to the status of routine. This will help lower the risk of HPV transmission and of genital cancers in men. We have the HPV vaccine at SHAC. It is a series of three shots given over a six-month period. The cost is $10 per shot if you start the series before your 19th birthday. Otherwise, it’s a tad steep at $150 per dose. Fortunately, most insurance companies cover it.

If you have other questions about HPV or other STIs, visit the American Social Health Association Web site, AshaStd.org, or make a women’s or men’s health appointment at SHAC by calling (505) 277-3136.

Dr. Peggy Spencer has been a UNM Student Health physician for 17 years and a Daily Lobo contributing columnist for three years. She is co-author of the book 50 Ways to Leave Your 40s. E-mail your questions to her at Pspencer@unm.edu. All questions will be considered, and all questioners will remain anonymous. This column has general health information only and cannot replace a visit to a health provider.