Cope with the holidays by de-stressing

The holiday season is one of the most stress-filled times of the year. And 2009 has not been the greatest of years. Combining family commitments, financial concerns heightened by the not-so-good economy, traveling, shopping and cooking with everyday stressors like working, it is no surprise many people feel overwhelmed around this time. In addition, holidays are often filled with memories of loved ones no longer in our lives, which can rekindle feelings of sadness and contribute to a sense of isolation. 

To a point, feeling stressed is a normal, healthy response to the everyday wear and tear of life. The ability to react in the face of stressors is critical for survival. However, over time, the body’s response to cumulative and chronic stress can lead to physical and emotional problems. 

In dealing with stress, people can avoid situations where they anticipate they will feel uncomfortable or upset. People can also go into these situations with a different mindset, trying to be more adaptive to circumstances that have the potential to trigger feelings of anxiety or tension. 

The following are some ideas for dealing with holiday stress: 
• Shop smartly. Set a budget and stick to it. Don’t overspend and avoid prolonged searches for “the perfect gift.”

• Break the routine. Don’t be afraid to make a new plan for the holidays and make this year different. Remember, whatever you plan for this year does not have to become the tradition for all the years to come. If you usually travel every year, you might try staying at home. Consider planning a fun post-holiday activity, so that you can have that to look forward to after the holidays are over. 

• Prioritize your holiday events and plan accordingly. Avoid hectic schedules. You cannot possibly make it to every holiday event, so make some decisions about which ones you want to attend. Don’t try to do everything. Plan to do only those things that are truly important to you. 

• Be aware of how you are feeling physically and emotionally. Learn to recognize when stressors are pushing your buttons and use relaxation techniques such as deep breathing to help alleviate anxiety. 

• Watch what you eat. Avoid excesses and “maintain don’t gain.” At parties, try holding a glass of water while you eat. You’ll have to balance the glass on your plate or put it down every time you take a bite. Also, pay attention to how much caffeine and alcohol you are consuming. Excessive caffeine and alcohol use can contribute to feelings of anxiety and depression, while interfering with healthy sleep patterns. 

• Exercise. Many people find significant relief from stress through physical exercise. Even though it may be hard to find the time, make exercise a priority and build it into your schedule. The energy you invest in healthy habits will be returned with interest.

• Try to let bygones be bygones. In personal disagreements with family members, you can acknowledge the problem without digging into the past and reopening old wounds. Remember that forgiveness is a gift you give to yourself, allowing you to let go and get unstuck. 

• Make time for yourself. Carve out time in your schedule to regroup and revitalize yourself away from the crowds. Take time to rest, relax and recharge your batteries. 
• Don’t try to have the perfect holiday season. There are too many variables in life for perfection to be an attainable goal. Assume that there will be unexpected events and accept the holiday season for what it is meant to be: a time to enjoy the company of family and friends. 

• Seek support. You don’t have to suffer alone. Counseling may not be the answer to anything, but it is part of the answer to a lot of things. 

The Counseling, Assistance and Referral Services is ready to help you develop a personal strategy to cope with stress. CARS is a free and confidential service, available to all benefits-eligible faculty and staff of UNM. You can call CARS at 272-6868 to schedule an initial appointment.

Steve Rugala is the director of Counseling, Assistance and Referral Services at UNM.