Navigate through registration, E-Progress easily

Registration can be a stressful time, especially with finals right around the corner. Thankfully, there are some things students can do to make the process less traumatic.
Students can check their own personal registration date by signing into my.unm.edu. Through LoboWeb, students can go to “Registration and Records,” and then “Check Your
Registration Appointment.”

Academic Adviser Shannon Saavedra said students should register for classes as soon as possible, and making a schedule a few days ahead is helpful. With a plan written down, students can stay up until midnight on their registration date and register for classes using the course record number, she said. The CRN is the five digit number to the left of the class title.

Saavedra said students can also get help deciding what classes to sign up for using their E-Progress report, which is under the “Registration and Records” link. The report tells students what classes they’ve completed and what they still need to take for graduation, she said.

Saavedra said some students are confused by the E-Progress report because it can be hard to read.

“I tell students to skip the whole first part,” she said. “It doesn’t make sense to them. It’s not telling them what classes they have to take.”

Saavedra said students should pay more attention to areas on E-Progress that have a minus symbol on the right side. This indicates classes that aren’t completed, she said. The classes students can take to fulfill those requirements are listed underneath in red.

Students who are confused by the E-progress report should attend one of the quick E-progress seminars UNM offers, Saavedra said. At least 10 students attend each seminar, she said.

Saavedra said E-Progress reports aren’t perfect and students should visit their advisers if they still have questions.

“It’s a tool to help us assist students, but it can’t be the only thing that students use because sometimes it’s wrong,” she said.

“Sometimes honors classes get listed where they’re not supposed to.”

Carmen Brown, vice president of Enrollment Management, said a new degree audit report, Lobo Trax, will replace the E-Progress report in March.

Brown said Lobo Trax is much more student friendly. It has graphs that show areas such as core and group, which must be completed before graduation, she said.

Lobo Trax is an enhanced E-progress, Brown said in an e-mail.

“It is easier to read. It identifies for users their progress by utilizing graphic designs and it will allow students to identify courses they wish to take in future terms,” she said.

*E-Progress Seminars
Dec. 9 — 1 p.m.
Dec. 15 — 2 p.m.
Student Services Center
room 114
To RSVP, e-mail Shannon Hein at shein@unm.edu*