Cinematic genius in Japanese flick

Nobuhiko Obayashi’s film “Hausu” is baffling, yet its charm is undeniable.
It’s often described as a “horror/comedy,” but I’m not sure this (or any) genre-assignment does it justice. Is it scary, at times? Absolutely. Will it make you laugh? Without a doubt.

It is beautiful, outlandishly silly, and profoundly disturbing. If you were to call it a “psychedelic-kung-fu-exploitation-nightmare comedy,” you’d be a bit closer to capturing the wild spirit of “Hausu.”

The title means “house” in Japanese, and the film involves a group of teenage schoolgirls visiting a strange house in the countryside. There’s more to it than that, but the plot isn’t the movie’s strong suit.

“Hausu” delightfully takes the tired teenagers-dying-one-by-one concept and visually electroshocks the hell out of it with a sporadic collection of instances. It delivers moments where you may be unsure of whether to laugh or gasp in horror, of shots that get under the skin and linger long after the film ends.

There are seven girls: Oshare, Fanta, Sweet, Melody, Gari, Kung Fu and Mac. Oshare has a falling out with her father, who usually takes her on a trip for the holidays. So, instead, she invites her friends to stay with her mysterious aunt. They’re all delighted by the quaint little house at first, and they dedicate themselves to helping its matronly proprietor. And then, one of them disappears. Then another. The aunt begins to act strangely, and she has a strange white cat, with strange eyes that sometimes glow green. Strangeness abounds, and the more bizarre it gets, the more I’m able to enjoy it.

The film walks the razor-thin line between camp and art. It has a glorious sense of humor, making constant idiosyncratic use of animation and goofy music. And there are individual shots and sequences whose cinematic excellence I cannot deny. It is a world of dreams and nightmares, and Obayashi brings it to life using every cinematic trick in the book with astounding finesse.

A film as fearless and clever as this one is a reminder of just how sterile horror movies have become in recent years. We’re growing increasingly accustomed to brutal, hyperrealistic violence, accompanied by zero artistry. “Hausu” is inarguably violent, but its attention to detail and explosive charisma makes it fresh and exciting, even 30 years after it was made. It’s about the little things — the beautiful shot of Oshare’s stepmother when she first emerges, her figure and movement distorted by panes of glass or Melody playing the eerie little waltz on the piano and the metronome starting itself. Can I remember anything specific that excited me as much, or truly terrified me, during “Saw VI?” No. Not even close.

Rating: A-

“Hausu”
The Guild Cinema
3405 Central Ave. SE
Friday and Saturday
10:15 p.m. and midnight
$7 at the door
Not rated