SUB showcases best teaching practices

UNM’s most effective and diverse teaching methods will be showcased Thursday in the SUB.

“Sharing Best Practices: Culture and Identity” is a first-ever seminar highlighting UNM’s methods in teaching a diverse student body, said Jennifer Gomez-Chavez, director of Title V, an organization co-hosting of the event.

“The whole focus of (the seminar) is to really celebrate how we recruit and retain our faculty, students and staff,” Gomez-Chavez said.

She said UNM is a national leader in the area of campus diversity.
“UNM serves as a national model for other universities, and they look toward UNM to figure out how they can work with their students from underrepresented populations,” she said. “The main goal of it all is that we’re going to start to document so we can publish the best practices of our institution.”
President Schmidly emphasized the importance of the seminar in his “Monday-morning message.”

It is well worth the time of faculty, staff and students who want to learn more about innovative teaching methods, scholarly research and training modules used in departments,” Schmidly said in the e-mail.

The Office of Diversity and Inclusion, along with Title V Educational Initiatives and the Health Sciences Center Office of Diversity is hosting the seminar in SUB Ballroom C. The event is scheduled from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.

The event will feature exhibits by about 25 groups working toward
diversity, including Student Support Services and the Native Health Initiative. Students can walk through the exhibits then head over to see any of the 14 presentations in the Isleta room of the SUB and Santa Ana A&B.

Presentations scheduled for Thursday include “To Be Young, Gifted and Black,” “The Digital Future from the Forgotten Past: Archives, Digitalization and E-curriculum,” and “Africana Studies: We Rise and Fall Together.”

“Our goal here is to begin to truly identify all the different ways we work with our students, faculty and staff,” said Gomez-Chavez.