Team loss overshadows individual victories

The fangs of inexperience sunk deep into the UNM men’s tennis team, as the Lobos dropped their match 5-2 to No. 32 BYU Saturday at the Linda Estes Tennis Center.

“We are a young team. They are a very experienced team,” head coach Alan Dils said. “They are much like we were two years ago, when I was starting all juniors and seniors. They are kind of like that now. Their experience really showed that they can win a couple of key points there to make a difference in a match.”

Unlike BYU, the Lobos have one junior, three sophomores and two freshmen.
While Dils talked about the woes of a young team, two of the youngest players, Jadon Phillips and Conor Berg, ended up winning their singles matches.

“So I talk about a young team, then both our freshman win matches,” Dils said. “Then our guys with experience end up not. That is tennis, too.”

Both Phillips and Berg won in three sets after going down a set early. Phillips won 2-6, 7-6, 6-2 in the No. 3 position. Berg won 5-7,6-2,6-3 in the fifth position.

“I finished the game really well,” Berg said. “Lately, I have been a lot more aggressive and match tough. I think the main difference is in that big points I have been doing a lot better. In past matches, I had been losing those big points. And now I’m starting to win them.”
As rackets bounced off the court and UNM players screamed at officials, Berg said one of the best parts of his game is his ability to stay positive in a match.

“Today, I was pretty emotional. I think that is one of the things I am really good at,’ Berg said. “I have the mental game. If I miss a few shots, I won’t get too down on my self, and I won’t show that I am getting mad or too negative. But if I win some big points, I will get pumped up and make some noise. And I think that is one of the better parts of my game.”

Berg teamed up with Ben Dunbar, the Lobos No. 1 singles player, to win the doubles match, 8-2.
Berg said it is a strange feeling — winning while still losing.

“It is tough,” Berg said. “I feel like I fought hard and I was satisfied. But the toughest part is losing as a team. I think that is one of the toughest things to do is win then lose as a team.”

Dils said his players are concerned with the team aspect of the sport. And no one is satisfied if the team doesn’t walk away on top.
“You are happy you won your match, but you are not jumping up and down when you win your match and your team loses,” Dils said. “This team is very close. I think this team is very team-oriented and they want to win the team match. They would be more happy if they lose their match and the team wins.”

Still, Dils is encouraged, being that BYU will be the toughest opponent standing in the way of the Lobos’ attempt to defend their 2009 conference regular-season championship.

“They are, by far, the highest ranked team in the conference,” Dils said. “It comes down to about two or three or four points. I have to give myself (those) points that would have been the difference in that match.”