Embattled south campus housing slated to open in fall 2011

American Campus Communities is taking over UNM student housing.
The company builds student housing all over the country. It is currently developing a $40 million apartment-style housing project on south campus for sophomores, juniors and seniors. However, UNM is not investing any money in the project — it is being financed completely by ACC, said Jason Wills, ACC senior vice president of development.

“The project is not being financed with University money or taxes,” he said. “It’s being funded completely by ACC shareholders. Of course, our shareholders do want to see a financial return.”

The company is also analyzing housing plans on main campus and will recommend which dorms need renovations or should be torn down within the next year, said Kim Murphy, director of UNM Real Estate.

“They’re the nation’s leader in student housing,” he said. “ACC just recently developed two major projects at (Arizona State University). They have a significant track record.”

UNM is working on a ground lease agreement with ACC for the south campus housing and will present it to the Board of Regents on May 11. If the agreement is approved ACC will begin construction around June 1. UNM will lease the land on south campus to ACC for 65 years with a nine-year extension option. After that, in 2075, the housing project will become UNM’s responsibility.

Murphy said some are confused about the contract between UNM and ACC. He said no part of the contract states that UNM can only work with ACC on future housing projects. UNM has the option to work with any companies and build new student housing or do renovations, he said.
However, a survey must be conducted showing need for the housing and showing that the project won’t compete with existing ACC housing.

“There is a lot of misinformation and confusion about this project, unfortunately,” he said. “It’s not unreasonable, we don’t think, that if we’re going to ask a private company to build housing for our students that we make sure that we don’t do anything that makes them unsuccessful.”

Amy Coburn, a professor in the School of Architecture and Planning, said the project will have 864 separate rooms — each with a private bathroom. Four rooms will share one kitchen.

Wills said the south campus housing will be finished in time for fall 2011 students to move in. He said rent will probably be between $500 and $550 per month per person, with a possible additional $124 shuttle transportation fee. The leases will be for one year.
“We believe that these rents compare very favorably to the off-campus market,” Wills said. “It’s a solid rate when you factor in the amenities and included services.”

A community center would also be part of the housing complex, including a pool, fitness center, computer pod and meeting rooms, he said. The complex would sit between Avenida Cesar Chavez and West Road — which is near I-25 — just over a mile from campus.

The south campus housing may be added onto the south lot shuttle route, Murphy said.
Security UNMPD won’t be patrolling inside the housing complex, Murphy said, but ACC will hire security guards at its own expense.
“Whatever security is needed, ACC will provide it, but if an incident requires a uniformed officer, UNMPD will respond,” Murphy said.
He said students 21 years old and up would be allowed drink alcohol inside their apartments, even though UNM is a dry campus.
“It’s similar to family housing, in that as long as individuals are able to consume alcohol under that state law, then they would be able to do that at this project,” he said.

ASU student Hal Cohen said he lives in the Vista del Sol housing complex, which will be similar to the south campus housing project, built by ACC.

Cohen said the security guards usually warn students who are underage to stop drinking, but they notify the police if it continues.
“They usually allow parties to go on as long as it’s discreet,” he said.

Sustainability The south campus housing will be classified as the lowest certification given in the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design, according to LEED classification. LEED is a sustainability ranking system for buildings — LEED certified being the lowest and LEED Platinum the greenest. UNM originally requested that the project be LEED Silver, which constitutes a more environmentally-friendly building, but Wills said that classification would be too expensive.

“We have a lot of costs going into the site and getting to that LEED Silver hurdle was going to cost money,” he said. “We, collectively with the University, decided that the money was best spent in investing into future phases.”

Murphy also said LEED Silver will be easier to attain with on-campus housing because UNM has a central energy source.
Wills said ACC will also promote low energy consumption by charging students if the electricity bill goes over $20 per room.