Film fest teaches entertains

From page to screen to audience, the Albuquerque Film Festival covers it all.
Running from August 25-29, the local fiesta consists of movie screenings, music, panels and other events held throughout the city.
Rich Henrich, founder and executive director of Film4Change, the nonprofit organization presenting the festival, is the man running the show behind the scenes.

“Film festivals are the modern day version of the campfire, where we gather around and listen to stories,” Henrich said.
While the affiliated story time treat has changed to popcorn from, say, a can of beans, the creation of this communal environment is why Henrich started the AFF last year.

The difficulty arises in organizing the means to share these types of tales.
“It’s a much bigger challenge in year two because of the state of the economy,” Henrich said. Working from a budget of $10,000 composed of generous sponsor support, the festival also operates on a 100 percent volunteer basis, Henrich said.
His biggest struggle of managing such a production on little means is “herding cats.” This is no bearded collie’s fantasy, but a matter of realizing a vision that consists of smaller moving parts.

This year features a broad scope of movies, with some that played at other prominent festivals, such as Sundance and South by Southwest.
“I really wanted to expand our program from last year (by bringing in) some of the top independent films that are out there right now,” Henrich said.
The genres of the featured feature films, many of which where shot in New Mexico, range from the “redneck” comedies like “American Cowslip” starring Val Kilmer to moving documentaries like “Absent.”

While the tax incentives are supportive for local business, Henrich said people need to look beyond the economic impact of film and be attentive to the message each story sends.

Thus, many of the films take on socially conscious themes, including the American Ferrara-led opening night picture “The Dry Land,” which examines soldiers’ post-war lives. This year also boasts a partnership with the Leopold Legacy Film Series, a collection screened primarily outdoors that deals with environmental topics, according to its website.

“I always look for strong films that use the narrative form to really talk about a social ill,” Henrich said. “And then there is the other side. Festivals have to be fun, too.”

So if PTSD or conservation isn’t it your idea of fun, there is levity to be had in this year’s additional events.
Among many other screenings, musical performances will also be daily occurrences with acts by Waylon Payne, The Muddy Waters Band, Bill Harvey and local bands Pierre and Queensryche.
In addition, Graham Elwood, best known for his “Palm Strikes” and ComedyFilmNerds.com podcasts, will be returning to Albuquerque. He visited UNM last year, touring with comedian Doug Benson, to promote AFF online with filmmaker interviews and host the awards ceremony.
Henrich said his aim is to educate the community about film by providing access to strong panelists and workshop leaders.

Sebastian Twardosz, the teacher of this year’s workshop “How to Make it in Hollywood,” said people want an immersive experience. Twardosz was a development executive at Tom Cruise’s production company.

“The whole experience of movies is actually more than just watching,” Twardosz said. “It’s talking about them, learning how to make them and how to get people to watch them.”

In his class, Twardosz demystifies Hollywood.
“I try to show how the film business works, from the studio system to agencies to independents, and how to navigate it,” he said.
Twardosz wants to help everyone succeed by clearing up the misconceptions and idealizations.
“A lot of people come to Hollywood, especially when they are young, and think if they work hard or they’re a good person they’ll succeed, and that’s not true,” he said.

Other workshop topics include screenwriting, acting, financing and directing. All events taking place on campus are free, including other film screenings on Johnson Field and at the SUB and student exclusives, such as a visit from Todd Napier, a visual graphics artist from the effects team behind “Alice in Wonderland.”

“Not everybody has the resources to come out to LA to learn these things,” Twardosz said. “You can go to film schools, the Internet, or you can go to a festival that is local to you and learn from panels.”