Hundred of cyclists gathered for the second annual “Can You See Us Now?” bike ride Sunday. The event was organized to encourage bicycle safety.

Cyclists ride for safety across city

Hundreds of bicyclists, escorted by Albuquerque Police, whirled down Central Avenue on Sunday to help promote bicycle safety.
Organized by Bike ABQ and the Duke City Wheelmen Foundation, the second annual “Can You See Us Now?” ride started at Copper Avenue and Jefferson Avenue and went to Tiguex Park in Old Town.

Jennifer Buntz, Duke City Wheelmen Foundation president and member of Bike ABQ’s Board of Directors, said the ride raises awareness about bicycling accidents.

“Things have become safer, but there is still room for improvement,” Buntz said. “Drivers should learn how to better interact with bicyclists on the road.”

By the time the ride started, 350 riders were pre-registered.

Aaron Gonzales and Demian Ginther were both riding in the event for the first time. Gonzales said he commutes on his bicycle and hopes drivers learn to share the road with bicyclists. He said he has been involved in an accident, which encouraged him to ride in the event.
“I have actually been hit by a car on my bike, so I hope this helps raise awareness,” he said.

Ginther said bicycles should be treated as vehicles by drivers and cyclists.

“It goes both ways. I’ve seen people on bikes who don’t obey regular traffic laws,” he said.

Buntz said each rider rode for a person who was killed in a bicycle accident dating back to 1989 — the earliest date she could find in public records regarding bicycle fatalities. To date, 107 people have been killed in bicycle-related accidents in New Mexico, she said.
Gabino Venegas, whose son was killed in 1998, sold T-shirts for donations to help fund ghost bike installations. Ghost bikes are old bicylces that are painted white and installed alongside roads in honor of killed cyclists.

Venegas said people were generous.
“Someone donated $45 for one shirt,” he said.

Steve Mathias, vice president and treasurer of the Duke City Wheelmen, said he rode in honor of Venegas. Mathias was dressed as a “ghost rider” with white face paint and white clothing.

“The point of all of this is to make people more aware,” Mathias said.

Buntz said the city is on its way to becoming a better city for cyclists.
“When I started commuting in 1981, there was only one bike path, and now there are tons of them,” she said. “Every city bus has the capability to carry bikes now.”