Group focuses in on power of zen

The newest religious student group doesn’t represent a religion at all, but a “way of life,” according to its founders.

Brittany Arneson, secretary of the Student Dharma Association, said Buddhism is more of a philosophy or a lifestyle choice than a religion.
“We listed it with the religious groups because we thought that’s where students who want what we offer would look for it,” she said. “I’m Christian, actually. Buddhism has helped me become closer with my God. That’s why we say we accept anybody. It really does not matter.”
Buddhism is about quieting and focusing the mind rather than believing in a specific doctrine, Arneson said. She said Buddhist practices can help in all areas of life, including concentration in school.

“This semester for me is a lot different. I can focus a lot more,” she said. “You can pay attention to your teachers without focusing on, ‘What do I have to do after this?’ or ‘What happened earlier today?’ You’re just there. You’re very present.”

Dharma Association Vice President Adam Quintana said Buddhist practices help a person focus on the moment.

“It helps me pay attention in school,” he said. “If you’re always thinking while the teacher’s talking, you’re not really paying attention to what they’re saying.”

Quintana said Buddhist beliefs and practices are centered on meditation.

“The entire philosophy of Buddhism is compacted into this one practice. … There is no stress when you’re in that state of mind,” he said. “We create peaceful emanations.”

Meditation is the art of clearing the mind and paying attention to the present moment, said Chris Livingston, the group’s jikijitsu, or meditation leader.

“It’s a lot about relaxation, actually. The point is to unclutter your mind to where it’s not busy and anxious all the time. You’re breathing, and your only focus is in and out breaths,” he said. “It’s kind of like yoga, but you’re not taking positions. We only take the traditional sitting position.”

UNM students who frequented the Albuquerque Zen Center started the group, Arneson said. The center is on Garfield Avenue and Yale Boulevard. She said the group occasionally meets at the Zen Center, and the leaders of the center will lead meditations for the Student Dharma Association.

The group will teach stress-reducing meditation practices, Arneson said.
“I think the biggest thing we will be offering UNM students is the fact that it helps with stress relief, like to a ridiculous point,” she said.

Some first-time meditators find it difficult to sit still for extended periods of time, Arneson said.

“The biggest problem for people that are getting into meditation for the first time is the amount of time (you sit.) People can’t control their head for that long, which is sad,” she said.

But the Dharma Association isn’t all silent meditation.
It will also have social meetings for students to meet other like-minded people. Livingston said the basic meeting will consist of a “sit,” where members will sit and meditate for 20-30 minutes. But there’s more technique to meditation than simply sitting, he said.

“There’s more of a discipline to it. It’s about clearing your mind of all thoughts. … And then it’s about not having an ego. Your sense of self is just an illusion,” he said. “The idea is to develop compassion for others.”

Besides having more compassion and finding it easier to pay attention in school, Livingston has found at least one other benefit of meditation.

“I’m really into playing guitar, and I noticed the meditation really helped with that,” he said.

Want us to feature your on-campus religious group? E-mail Culture@dailylobo.com