Artwork pieces, like the one seen in this photo, are found at Cellar Door Gifts and Gallery. Owner Jessica Duverneay said she prefers to sell creepy art instead of mainstream pieces.

Artist Ave: Taylor Mitchell

Playing the euphonium can take you places. Taylor Mitchell’s skill has taken him from coast to coast.

He played Bluecoats Drum, Bugle Corps and Spirit Drum, marching-band organizations that travel the country performing music.
Daily Lobo: When did you start playing the euphonium?

Taylor Mitchell: I started when I was in third grade. It was a baritone, so a euphonium with three buttons instead of four. It was a hand-me-down from my grandma. The serial number dates it at about 1950.

DL: People would say large, bass instruments like the euphonium are less expressive.

TM: I completely disagree with that. The euphonium really doesn’t get the recognition it deserves in being a virtuosic instrument. It’s absolutely expressive. It’s kind of in the mid-range between the tuba and the trombone, so its sound is very smooth, sweet. “Euphonium” in Latin actually means “good sound.”
DL: Do you get to play a lot of solos, then?

TM: In drum and bugle core, yes, there are solos. I personally haven’t played any solos in drum corps. I’ve played solos here at the University with the wind symphony. I’ve been the principal in the wind symphony since 2008. So I’ve gotten to play some solos here and there throughout the pieces. Every music major here is (also) required to play a solo every semester for a jury, for all the brass staff.
It’s essentially your final for playing your instrument.

DL: So you’ve traveled the country playing in marching bands. Where’s your favorite place you’ve traveled to?
TM: Upper-state New York, definitely. Mostly because the weather up there is perfect. When you’re with a drum corps, you will rehearse and perform from 12-14 hours a day — 12-14 hour days all summer long, to places like Texas, the South. “The Swamp Tour,” we call it. It’s just gross. I mean, it’s awful. But upper-state New York was very temperate.

DL: So what do you want to do with this, with your euphonium playing? What do you hope to do as a career after you graduate?
TM: I’m currently pursuing my bachelor’s in music education with an instrumental focus. My plan is to be a band director some place. I love teaching. I love the look that people get on their faces when they get something and they understand it. I’m helping out West Mesa High School and Manzano High School right now, just sectionals and stuff. I plan on going out of state for my master’s in euphonium performance.