Local play a rough gem

Susan Erickson’s play “Raised by Humans” was raised at UNM’s Theatre X 12 years ago, and now it’s all grown up and back at the Vortex Theatre this week.

A local playwright and CNM teacher, Erickson had six of her plays produced at the Vortex before seeing marvelous support from Albuquerque’s theater community.

It’s difficult to go into details of what “Raised by Humans” is about without ruining many of the main gags, but it’s about white trash and animals, humanity and redemption, love and family. It’s a funny play, combining old ideas and devices, while still remaining witty and interesting.

Fueled by the extra-credit slave labor of CNM theater students, the set looks grand. Lots of work was put into the cave centerpiece, and it shows.

The script is clearly a work in progress — the first act is fresh and exciting, with most of the mystery and dramatic action coming to a head by the intermission cliffhanger.

The second act, by contrast, is a rather predictable humdrum of scenes that never quite reclaims the cleverness or momentum of the first half. It breaks down into what is essentially a lengthy sequence of falling action, despite the fact that there are more shootings and people yelling and quick entrances and exits.

It mostly ends up as a bit of a mess, with characters describing what they’re doing aloud or slowly announcing their revelations that became clear to the audience half an hour before.

Transitions between scenes are awkward, and there are unnecessary splotches of darkness and terrible music for a few jarring seconds at a time.

The set is stagnant, so there doesn’t seem to be any purpose for these moments, other than an excuse to inject you with some cold, hard country music and remind you that you’re dealing with white trash.

Still, there is much to like about “Raised by Humans.” Pete Alden and Ninette S. Mordaunt duel as an old bumbling right-winger and his skanky grandma of a wife.

They are supported by Jen Stephenson playing two characters, a contemptible sheriff and an angry mannish ranch hand, though she is always a massive hick and brings a lot of laughs.

The initial emotional hook comes from the single mother (Diane Villegas) and confused, rebellious son (Grey Blanco). Villegas is strong and diverse as an actor, bringing the flawed and relatable, but hopeful deadbeat mom to life.

Blanco, by far the youngest in the cast, is by no means left behind. His own story is abandoned a bit by the dramatic action toward the middle of the play, though he eventually comes back into focus to offer his natural ease front and center.

It would be impossible, however, not to bear in mind Charles Fisher’s (as Lionel) considerable talent. Fisher bares the cross as axis of all dynamic elements for the characters. That, and he’s hilarious. There’s barely a Fisher line that won’t get a rise out of someone in the audience.

Much of the inspiration of Erickson’s script seems centered on Lionel, which is OK, with Fisher’s effortless line delivery crafting humor and humanity with his bare hands.

“Raised by Humans” needs work, but the already noticeable work that has been put toward it gives it a special, magnetic quality. There are elements used that work best as a play, and if even taken to cinematic medium, as it often seems eager to do, it would lose much of that magic.

Erickson’s love for creation is clear, and the result is something definitely worth watching.