Student-run gallery opens doors

It was one of those three-in-one events — a gallery, music show and costume party — that displayed a grab bag of UNM students’ artistic endeavors.

Except it wasn’t affiliated with the University, even though UNM students organized it.
The Monster Mash was the first show at the newly opened Hydra Gallery on Lomas Boulevard. The gallery is inside the Central Photo Co-Op studio and still features photo equipment, gallery co-owner Dave Angelus said.

“Really, we’re just trying to help the whole scene here in Albuquerque, like get this place running and uplift everybody with us, you know?” he said. “It’s a spot where people can do cheap studio rentals, gallery rentals and the print lab.”

A third-year photography student at UNM — although he is taking this semester off — Angelus said the space is intended for student use. He said darkroom availability at the Hydra Gallery is an advantage for UNM students, since the University is cutting back the film part of its photo program.

“That’s one of the main reasons I was stoked on this place,” he said. “We have our own darkrooms, and students can work out of those.”
Monster Mash curator Allen Colmenares, a seventh-year art studio major, said every exhibit came from UNM students or graduates, in order to give them an opportunity to grow as artists.

“We want to have the students see the students that are putting in work,” he said. “And then we want for them to see the amount of work that’s really going into these galleries.”

Student John Thomson said he began blowing glass, or lampworking, more than four years ago. Thomson hooked up with the Hydra Gallery because he was friends with the artists and organizers, including Angelus.

“The Los Altos Skate Park has been our stomping grounds for a long time, and we’re all associated through UNM and the photography program and the fine arts program,” he said.

The costume-party aspect of the opening produced artistic offerings, including a guy who designed and created his own plaster “Phantom of the Opera” mask. Angelus was dressed as a “Mardi Gras warrior” (purple and yellow with a big sword as an accessory) and student Hiram Camp, who performed at the opening with his band Cloud Lantern, wore a Jim Morrison costume. He was shirtless and wore tight leather pants.
“This show is like, people put on these masks over the masks they already have, and I was wondering if anyone would come as themselves,” Camp said, in his best Lizard King impression. “That would be a truly scary monster.”

Slipping out of his Morrison persona, Camp said the exhibit showcased talented students.
“It’s this subculture of us being able to go to school and study and get degrees and shit or whatever, and at this same time, we still create art, and we put a lot of effort into it,” he said. “Obviously, this studio and this place took a lot of effort to remodel, and all the art that’s in it comes from all kinds of different people, different majors, different backgrounds.”

CNM was also represented at the Monster Mash. CNM student Josh McCoy displayed about 15 pieces in different styles, ranging from a comic-book-style drawing of a turtle chasing a baby to an oil painting called “Creepy Baby,” an impressionistic depiction of, well, a creepy baby.
McCoy said he did most of his work for class, a reason that explains the variety in it.

“My prints are from printmaking class,” he said. “There’s a skeleton piece on the wall that’s charcoal. That was through a class.”
Angelus said it’s exciting to see the gallery open after months of renovation and work.

“Every penny that we have, out of our pocket, we put into the space, pretty much,” he said. “We’re just trying to get it up and going, and it’s doing it, dude. I’m happy.”

*Hydra Gallery
4312 Lomas Blvd. N.E.
463-9367*