Undergrad ballot to offer rec center vote

ASUNM plans to include two questions on its annual election ballot to determine if students are willing to pay for a recreational facility.
ASUNM Sen. Greg Golden introduced the bill to add in the questions at the ASUNM full-Senate meeting March 30.

“It’s a call to action for students to get the opportunity to give their perspective of whether or not they are willing to pay (for a new center),” Golden said.

In addition to casting votes for next year’s ASUNM senators, president and vice president April 20, the ballot will ask students, “Are you aware that in the academic year 2011 your tuition may be increased by as much as 8 percent ($220.00 in-state) or ($747.00 out of state)?” and “With knowledge of this tuition increase, would you be willing to pay an additional $107.50 per semester in student fees (separate from tuition) for a (bond of 25-30 years) to fund the construction of a new Student Recreation Center on campus?” according to ASUNM’s resolution.

Some representatives at the meeting criticized the measure, saying the many students casting their votes in this election will graduate before the recreation facility is completed.

Student fees would cover the building’s expenses, Golden said, but recreation facility plans haven’t been completed.

Golden said a bond would initially fund the center. Students would pay back the bond in fees when the center opened.

“You’re ensuring that students aren’t giving up the costs for something they can’t use,” he said.

Golden said undergraduate students’ interests don’t change much year to year.

“Typically, students have the same interests all in all,” Golden said. “They want a good education. They don’t want to pay a lot of money, but they want services.”

Golden said ASUNM President Laz Cardenas and other ASUNM members will encourage students to vote so that they can get a true representation of student opinions.

“The main goal is to get the most unbiased info possible,” Golden said. “We want to say, ‘Here are the facts, here is what is going to be constructed, and what it is going to cost.’ Hopefully we get a big turnout to speak on this issue.”