Fireworks not worth the heat

With five wildfires burning in New Mexico, the Albuquerque Fire Department and Albuquerque Police Department are especially concerned about blazes during this year’s Independence Day celebrations.

According to Fire Chief James Breen, APD officers will assist firefighters in preventing fires caused by stray and improperly used fireworks.

“We are taking this very seriously, and we are not going to be writing warnings,” he said.

Breen said the APD officers will look for people using illegal fireworks or misusing fireworks. Aerial fireworks and fireworks that are louder than a cap gun are banned, as well as fireworks that go higher than 10 feet or wider than a six-foot circle.

Breen said people caught misusing fireworks could be fined and even spend time in jail.

“People don’t recognize just how bad it is, and I’m here to tell you it’s bad,” he said. “Who wants to be held fiscally responsible for a multi-million dollar fire?”

Breen said he recommends going to public fireworks demonstrations and buying fireworks only at local vendors.

Chris and Teri Roybal operate a TNT firework tent on the corner of San Pedro Drive and Central Avenue. He said business has been busy as usual, but people seem to be more cautious about the fireworks they buy.

“TNT doesn’t sell any fireworks that are not legal,” Roybal said.

“They make sure all the tents have fire extinguishers and are up to code. The fire marshal comes through here regularly and we are in good standing with them.”

Roybal said he has firework safety printouts available at the registers, as well as safety instructions on their carry-out bags.

Breen said the Fourth of July is AFD’s busiest day of the year.

He said the fire department normally responds to about 200 calls per day, but on the Fourth of July it responds to almost 800 calls.

“The bottom line is that we need the community’s help,” he said.

“We have lobbied for the ordinance. The fire department has done all it can do, and now and we need the community’s help in keeping the community safe.”

Breen said firework users often don’t consider the consequences of irresponsible firework use.

“People often don’t recognize that their actions can result in disaster,” Breen said. “Conditions are so dry that if you get an illegal firework that lands in the Bosque, (it) could result in a true disaster.”

For more info about firework restrictions visit, cabq.gov/fire/news