8841_skatef.jpg

In this photo illustration, the dangers of skateboards on campus seem all too real. Some students say they fear accidents with skateboards as pedestrians.

Skaters grind on public’s patience

While dozens of on-campus skateboarders roll by pedestrians on their way to class every day without incident, occasional accidents do occur.

Frank Martin, a paraplegic student, said he was hit and injured by a skateboarder, which prompted him to write to administrators at UNM.

“The situation for students with disabilities is particularly threatening at the disability ramps where disabled students must run a daily gauntlet with speeding skateboarders, bicycles, inline skaters and motor scooters,” Martin wrote.

Student Victor Torres suffers from cerebral palsy and uses an electric wheel chair. He said the skateboarders on campus scare him.

“I haven’t been hit by anybody yet, but I can see how it could be dangerous,” Torres said. “I have to hit my brakes sometimes because I see a cyclist or a skater coming. I’m really good at stopping, but other people don’t have that possibility of stopping quickly.”

Rob Burford, the student conduct officer, said people skating on ramps specifically designated for handicapped students, or those grinding on rails, are violating the official UNM policy for non-motorized vehicles. The policy states that non-motorized vehicles, such as bicycles and skateboards, must be used solely for transportation.

The Accessibility Resource Center is an entity that works to provide equal access to students with disabilities. Its director, Joan Green, said more students need to be aware of the needs of UNM’s disabled population.

“People need to learn to provide enough safety, enough areas of egress for people with disabilities and to not create a danger or a situation where they’re uncomfortable,” she said.

Disabled students aren’t the only ones complaining about speeding skateboarders and cyclists.

“They need to skate with caution,” student Gabriel Garcia said.

“You can’t use your skateboard as a time machine to get somewhere faster.”

Student Ashley Ibarra also said she has had a few close calls with skaters.

“They act like they own the sidewalk sometimes,” she said, “and they just expect you to move out of the way when you don’t even see them.”

Student and skateboarder Yendi Vasquez said she thinks many of the complaints are overblown, but admitted to riding her skateboard down one of the handicap ramps on campus — not to do tricks, but because it was convenient.

Burford said students who feel threatened can write a formal report and submit it to the dean of students.

“If we get a report in writing, if a student is violating any policies, then we can attend to it, or at least call that person in to hopefully have that educational moment to see how their behavior is impacting others on campus,” he said.