Fall allergies blow away in many ways

Dr. Peg, My allergies are killing me! What I can do to get some relief?

Isn’t fall lovely? Warm days, cool nights, and all the lovely fall pollens wafting in the breeze — Achoo! If you’re having allergies, you’re not alone.

Allergies are the body’s hypersensitivity to substances in the environment. Allergic reactions can range from mild itching and sneezing to severe hives, wheezing and shortness of breath.

An extreme reaction can cause anaphylactic shock, in which the blood pressure drops and the airway swells shut. Most people, however, experience what has been commonly called “hay fever.”

This term is a misnomer, because the usual season for it is spring, not summer when hay is harvested, and there is no fever present with allergies. The symptoms are itching, stuffy and runny nose and eyes, sneezing and coughing.

Some scientists believe that allergies developed in our species millennia ago as a way for our bodies to rid themselves of parasites and worms.

A special regiment, if you will, of the immune army, called IgE, was trained to fight parasites. Now that most of us don’t have to deal with parasites anymore, the IgE regiment, rather than laze around the barracks, has found something else to keep it occupied.

Some people are more likely to get allergies than others. If it runs in your family, you’re at risk. If you tend to have sensitive skin or eczema, you’re at risk. Actually, if you just live in Albuquerque you’re at risk.

Contrary to what our dry climate might lead you to believe, this is a very allergenic city. Every spring, juniper bushes, mulberry, elm, cottonwood and ash trees spurt out their pollen. The wind kicks up to assist, and the result is a snootful of pollen particles. Summer allergies are often caused by grasses, while fall allergies are likely to be triggered by weeds such as ragweed, sagebrush and Russian thistle.

Pollen counts vary from year to year, depending on the precipitation that year and the temperatures. Visit cabq.gov/cmaqpublic/ to get today’s pollen counts and to sign up for email notifications of daily pollen counts.

You are not born with allergies. By definition, they require time to develop. Your immune system has to “see” the allergen (allergy-stimulating molecule) one year before it can make a memory of it and react the following year. Newcomers to town usually take about three years to develop allergies, but it can happen at any time.

If you are allergic, avoid the allergen if possible. This is easier said than done when the allergen is in the very air you breathe, but you can do it to an extent. Avoid prolonged or vigorous outdoor activity when pollen counts are high. Keep windows shut, especially at night when trees drop their pollen.

If you have an inside/outside pet, wash it frequently or at least rub it down with a wet towel to remove pollen. Wash or rinse your hair daily to clean off dust and pollen. After working in the yard, leave your shoes outside and remove and wash your clothes.

Change your pillowcase frequently. If you suffer severely, you might want to replace carpet with hard floors and buy an air filter.

Let’s say you’ve done all you can to minimize your exposure and you’re still sniffling and sneezing. The next step is over-the-counter treatments that reduce or counter the allergic response.

Antihistamine eye drops, cromolyn nasal spray, antihistamine pills and decongestant pills are all available in generic forms without a prescription. You can tailor your treatment to your symptoms.

Ask the pharmacist for help if you’re not sure what to buy.

Try a sinus rinse system, such as a neti pot. Some sufferers swear by this as a way to remove allergens from their sinuses and to loosen and discharge nasal drainage. Saline eye drops can help soothe and rinse red, itchy eyes as well. The Student Health Center Pharmacy carries all of the above.

If you’re still suffering, the next level of treatment is prescription treatment by a health care practitioner. There are excellent medications available in eye drop, nasal spray and pill forms. If your allergy symptoms include any lung symptoms, such as coughing, wheezing, or shortness of breath, you should see a health practitioner. Many people with asthma have a hard time during allergy season, and asthma should never be taken lightly.

Finally, there is immunotherapy, or allergy shots. This is a treatment reserved for those with severe and stubborn symptoms that don’t respond to anything else. It’s a very long and involved process, usually involving one to three shots every week for about three years. This is a last resort, but it can be very effective.

If you need help please come to Student Health and Counseling (SHAC) or call us at 277-3136 for an appointment.

Dr. Peggy Spencer is a student health physician. She is also the co-author of “50 ways to leave your 40s.” Email your questions directly to her at pspencer@unm.edu. All questions will be considered anonymous, and all questioners will remain anonymous.

This column has general health information and cannot replace a trip to a health provider.