(un)Occupy needs a home

The (un)Occupy Albuquerque protesters’ attentions are focused on finding a place to permanently occupy — 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Protest members, with help from lawyers at the American Civil Liberties Union, asked City of Albuquerque representatives Friday to help protesters locate a place to assemble all day and night because city parks close at 10 p.m.

“If Occupy’s only choice for 24-hour assembly on public property in the city of Albuquerque is to violate park hours, then I hereby petition the city to hold an emergency meeting with regard to a special permit for Occupy,” protesters wrote in an email to Robert Kidd, the acting city attorney. 

“If the city denies Occupy 24-hour permission to public assembly at a designated and mutually agreed upon location, Occupy will have no other option but to protest the hours of park operation and risk arrest until the matter is resolved.”

Protesters told Kidd they would rather not risk more arrests, but they are willing to if the city doesn’t come up with a solution. 

“If the city can brainstorm a win/win solution, it would be the wisest thing to do so that efforts are coordinated,” protesters said. “If, however, the city has no solution for 24-hour assembly on public property in the City of Albuquerque, then be it hereby respectfully requested that the city declare for record the city’s inability to allow assembly.”