Anarchy more than social disorder

I don’t value disorder above all else. However, I’m feeling increasingly unconfident in our bipartisan government’s ability to make decisions for the good of us all. This has led me to explore anarchism.

Contrary to popular belief, anarchy does not necessarily mean absolute chaos. I imagine people hear the term and envision widespread looting brought on by people acting like animals with disregard for everyone but themselves.

When describing a society, anarchy is the absence of publicly enforced political leadership. To think the world would disintegrate in such a way as the result of this absence is short sighted.

When kids are released from the rule of their parents into “the real world,” the mayhem that ensues may be tempered by how much freedom the kids enjoyed in the first place. Anyone living on a short leash before let loose in the park may go wild, because the moment is one for which they’ve longed.

Everyone wants the ability to make their own decisions, but if they’ve been able to do so under more distant supervision, they’ve probably made mistakes and learned from them.

Whether you act according to what experience has taught you, or what you’re told to do, we all have a system that determines how we behave. The difference is that when someone is telling you what you to, you question their reasoning and will begin to think for yourself, anyway.

This is why teenagers rebel. Either way, the individual will make mistakes; this is the reality of being human. The upside of being human is that we are the most intelligent animals, and have the mental capacity to learn from these mistakes.

In countries where people have had little freedom, rebellions against their government have been violent. In America, where people can do as they please within the confines of a more liberal legal system, the movement has been milder.

Maybe I have too much faith in the essential goodness of humankind. I don’t operate under the utopian fantasy prevalent in the ‘60s, but I do think there is a path to pave toward a peaceful, harmonious existence. In a world like this, people will make mistakes, as always, and there will be a price to pay.

It just makes more sense to me for the people involved to make decisions accordingly, rather than relying on the government to bring justice. Even with our precious branches of government controlling the leash and disciplining as they see fit, injustices are not rare.

Because the masses allocated a group of leaders the power to make decisions for us, we’ve also given them the power to manipulate the law according to their needs and wants. Police break the laws all the time, scaling from something minor like breaking the speed limit to shooting innocent people. They decide to whom the laws apply, and if the system is really for the good of all, why should there be any exceptions?

Every human wants to feel safe, well nourished and loved. Everyone has a different path to these mutually desired ends, hence the endless variety of lifestyles. What works for one person doesn’t necessarily make sense for everyone.

Our system of government and law should be as unique as all of us. It’s evident the law attempts to accommodate these differences by creating more and more laws, rules and regulations as unique circumstances crop up regularly.

Granted, it is necessary to keep the degenerates at bay, as they are undeniably a threat to at least one of our mutual necessities. I don’t have the answer, but I know the time has come for us to start working toward a system that works, rather than waiting for the opposing forces to ever agree.

Why should people with different ideologies be forced to adopt each other’s lifestyles?