Continuing Ed rife with learning

Whether you’ve always wanted to learn how to prepare East Indian cuisine or navigate rapids in a kayak, UNM Continuing Education has a wealth of courses in which both students and nonstudents can participate.

The Growth and Enrichment Program of Continuing Education offers the majority of continuing education courses in areas including art, music, physical education and cooking. Marie McGhee, senior program manager for Growth and Enrichment, said a wide range of people attend the classes, not just degree-seeking students.

Growth and Enrichment offers about 350 courses for the fall semester, 360 in the spring semester and 150 in the summer, she said. Last year, nearly 8,600 students enrolled in Growth and Enrichment classes.

“There are about six to 50 students per class, the age groups vary from teenagers to retired people, and we open about 10 new classes every week,” she said. “We have all kinds of arts and projects.

For cooking classes, like “One Dish Dinners,” students meet for three hours a week and eat what they cook, one of the main reasons many take these classes,” McGhee said.

Students can register for growth and enrichment classes online any time before class begins. The cost of classes ranges from $25, for a “Money Matters,” course to $450 for “Coastal Kayaking on Inland Waters,” a class held at Ute Lake in which participants learn to plan and initiate multi-day sea kayak trips,

Gilda Latzky has been working with the Growth and Enrichment program for 13 years. She teaches “Exploring the Cuisine of the India,” one of the 19 courses she is teaching this semester.

“In this class we will learn about the spices and unusual ingredients used in this cuisine,” she said. “Indian food is simple to cook and people become fascinated because once they understand the spices, cooking is no longer difficult.”

Latzky also came up with the concept for a new project called “Learn at Lunch.”

“We are offering shortened classes for people that don’t have as much time and have a lower budget,” she said. “They are great for learning to cook quickly. The classes are going to be at lunch time and they are going to have a lower price,” she said.

The Division for Continuing Education at UNM is located at 1634 University Blvd.

For more information on courses and prices, visit dce.unm.edu.

Upcoming classes:

New Mexico Red or Green (cooking class). $55, plus a $15 food fee: Thursday,
6 p.m. – 9 p.m.

Beginning Folk Harp. $115 for six sessions: Fist session starts on Thursday,
runs through April 5.

Basket Weaving. $80, plus a $25 materials fee:
Saturday, 10 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.