New Mexico Crime Briefs

Police nab suspect by responding to ad

SANTA FE — Court papers show that a personal online ad taken out by one of the four men arrested last week in a child-sex sting operation caught the attention of Santa Fe police.

The Santa Fe New Mexican reports 35-year-old Jared Oshell faces charges of child solicitation and eight counts of attempted criminal sexual communication with a child.

According to court papers, an investigator posing as a child responded to Oshell’s online ad on Jan. 10 and the chats between Oshell and the undercover detective continued through Jan. 31. Police arrested Oshell on Feb. 3.

Police said three other men were arrested as part of the department’s sting operation, and that a total of 10 arrest warrants should be issued for men suspected of soliciting sex from minors.

Dead dogs all over Socorro County

SOCORRO, N.M. — Authorities in Socorro are investigating a rash of dog shootings.

Animal Protection of New Mexico says at least eight dogs were shot in December and January within a three- to four-mile area of Socorro County that includes Lemitar and Polvadera. Nearly all the dogs were on their owners’ property, and all but one died or had to be euthanized.

The animal protection group says the Socorro County Sheriff’s Department is investigating the cases, and believes they are connected.

Animal Protection of New Mexico is offering a $10,000 reward for information in the case.

Cops: Men who beat woman caught

LAS CRUCES — Doña Ana County sheriffs say two men wanted for allegedly kidnapping and beating a woman last weekend are now in custody.

They say 45-year-old David Grill and 42-year-old Michael Strubhar surrendered to authorities Wednesday night.

Authorities say Grill and Strubhar are facing five felonies, including aggravated battery, kidnapping, conspiracy to commit kidnapping, robbery and bribery of a witness.

The two men are being held on a $100,000 cash bond at the county detention center.

Authorities say a 22 year-old woman claims Strubhar picked her up Saturday near a motel and drove her to meet Grill, who then allegedly tried to strangle the woman from the back seat with a rope.

The two men allegedly drove a desert area west of Las Cruces where the woman says she was beaten and abandoned.

Murder suspect dies in standoff, cops say

ALBUQUERQUE — A man wanted in connection with the death of an Albuquerque man has died following a bizarre standoff with authorities.

Wes Brannon was pronounced dead Tuesday in Mora County after authorities said Brannon slammed into a parked deputy’s car and officers fired on him.

State Police did not say whether Brannon died from gunshot wounds or from the crash.

Police believe that Brannon was linked to the death of Albuquerque resident Greg Miller, whose body was found Tuesday. Police said they suspect the man who killed Miller believed he was sleeping with his wife.

Deputies and State Police responded to a call from Brannon’s estranged wife who said Brannon was at her door with a gun. When they arrived, authorities said Brannon rammed into a parked deputy’s car.

Report: suspect from years-old case caught

ALBUQUERQUE — Authorities say a man has been arrested in connection with the shooting death of his estranged wife in Albuquerque almost 25 years ago.

Albuquerque police say Ronald A. Brewington was taken into custody Monday in the San Francisco area.

The body of 37-year-old Diedre Brewington was found in her apartment in Albuquerque on Aug. 4, 1987.

Police learned Diedre was separated from her then 43-year-old husband and she intended to divorce him.

Investigators determined that there was probable cause to arrest Brewington for the murder, but he had already fled New Mexico.
The Bernalillo County grand jury indicted Ronald Brewington for first-degree murder, but it took 25 years to track him recently to the California Bay Area.

It was unclear Monday whether Brewington has a lawyer yet.