howtogetpierced.jpg

Show Me How to get pierced safely

Although the independence of college life may encourage students to plunge into piercing, learning how to avoid health risks related to piercing, such as infections and jewelry rejections, is worth looking into before you leap. The Daily Lobo sat down with Chris Jennell, a piercer with Evolution Piercing, to better understand how to pick a piercing and ensure that it heals properly.

Step 1
Pick a piercer.

Jennell said it is important to be sure the piercing establishment and the piercer are clean. He said the piercer should be a member of the Association of Professional Piercers (APP), which will ensure the piercer is diligent about following APP guidelines. He said following APP guidelines will reduce the risk of contracting bloodborne pathogens during the piercing process.

Jennell said APP certification should be posted in the establishment for every APP-certified piercer.

Step 2
Go in for a consultation.

Jennell said to select the jewelry and location of the piercing, and accept that your anatomy may require adjustments as to the location of your piercing. He said that with genital piercings, individual anatomy variations may not support every piercing style available.

Jennell said the consultation and selection process is important because piercings leave a scar once they close, which can be unsightly. He said that repiercing requires piercing through scar tissue, which can cause the piercing to be misplaced.

“Make sure you research exactly what you are getting,” he said. “Never just settle.”

Step 3
Make an appointment and be prepared for aftercare.

Jennell advised wearing comfortable clothing that will not irritate the pierced area and being prepared for the aftercare needed for the piercing you choose. He said that care and healing time varies for each piercing and to follow your piercer’s aftercare instructions diligently.

Step 4
Watch for signs of infection.

Jennell said you should contact your piercer if you have any questions during the healing process, but to see a doctor immediately if your piercing becomes infected. He said to expect the pierced area to be tender, but that foul smelling discharge or sharp pain are not normal side effects of piercings.

Tips
Signs of infection include discharge, red streaks, swelling, redness or pain, fever, chills, nausea, vomiting, dizziness or disorientation.

Signs of metal allergies may include a red, itchy rash near the area.

New piercings should not be submerged in water until the healing process is complete.

Healing Periods
Nose: 2–3 months
Navel: 3–6 months
Lip: 2–3 months
Eyebrow: 2–3 months
Female nipples: 3–6 months
Male nipples: 2–3 months