fbCarrier

Junior tail back Kasey Carrier grabs his helmet before heading onto the field against Fresno State on Oct. 27. The Lobos look to break a three-game losing streak against Wyoming on Saturday at University Stadium.

Big plays plague defense

@ThomasRomeroS

Time and time again this season, the UNM football team has given up back-breaking plays on defense.

Look no further than last Saturday’s 35-7 loss at UNLV. The Lobos allowed a 62-yard rush, a 75-yard touchdown pass and a 58-yard touchdown run to the Rebels.

Teams can’t win football games by giving up big plays on a regular basis, and head football coach Bob Davie said the defense must stop opposing offenses from making game-changing plays.

“We’re controlling the things we can control, other than giving up the big plays,” he said. “That is the common theme to where our problems have come from: giving up big plays. We just give up way too many big plays.”

This Saturday, UNM will host the Wyoming Cowboys, led by sophomore quarterback Brett Smith, who is second in the Mountain West and 34th nationally in passing, averaging 255.9 yards per game. In the red-zone, Wyoming has been money scoring on 28 of 30 possessions.

Wyoming’s strong passing attack doesn’t bode well for the Lobos, who rank 108th in passing defense, and Davie said Smith is a formidable quarterback.

“This player is one player our guys talk about — he has made a tremendous impression on our team from last year,” Davie said. “He kind of reminds me of a gym rat guy: A guy who is very productive, loves to play, elusive playmaker. He’s a good player.”

UNM (4-6, 1-4 MW) is on a three-game losing streak and Davie said the Lobos must get off to a fast start to beat the Cowboys.

“We have a chance to win a game,” he said. “Last week was the first time this year that we didn’t start out the game the way we’ve started out previous games.”

Wyoming stands at 2-7, 1-4 MWC after defeating Colorado State 45-31 in the Border War to retain the Bronze Boot. The Border War is the annual rivalry game between the Wyoming and CSU football teams.

The Lobos’ rushing game should have no trouble against a Wyoming rush defense that ranks 100th in college football, surrendering an average of 203.8 yards per game.

UNM is averaging 303.1 yards per game, and Wyoming head coach Dave Christensen said the key to stopping the Lobos’ potent running game is good tackling.

“You have to try to be successful on first and second down as much as possible,” he said. “If they get to third-and-3 or less, you’re not going to stop them.”

UNM is led by junior running back Kasey Carrier, who is seventh in the nation in rushing, averaging 128.4 yards per game. Davie said Carrier has been hampered by a hamstring lately, but should be able to play against the Cowboys.

“He came through the hamstring, he’s got a little bit of bumps and bruises like everyone has, but the hamstring is fine,” Davie said.
Trujillo suspended:

Walk-on football player Ryan Trujillo was suspended indefinitely by Davie on Tuesday.

The suspension is the result of a violation of team rules that occurred in October, when Davie learned of the violation.

Trujillo hasn’t played a down of football for UNM this season.