RhodesScholars_11/27

UNM Student Regent Jacob Wellman, left, and student Kandis Wright were the first finalists from UNM for the Rhodes scholarship since 2009. Neither Wellman nor Wright was selected for the scholarship to study at Oxford University for two years, but both were grateful to be chosen as finalists.

UNM Student Regent Jacob Wellman and UNM student Kandis Wright were the first finalists for the Rhodes Scholarship from the University since 2009

For the first time since 2009, two UNM students were selected as finalists for the Rhodes scholarship.

Kandis Wright and Student Regent Jacob Wellman had their final interviews a week ago in Colorado Springs, Colo., where award recipients were announced.

Wright, who is a pre-med student studying biology, graduated from Rio Rancho High School in 2005, was fifth in her graduating class, and was a finalist for the Marshall Scholarship, but did not receive it. She won the Genevieve Townsend Memorial Award in 2011, which is awarded to students who have high academic achievement and are in good standing in the University’s Honors College.

Wellman, who is studying political science, was the Capital Office Intern for then-Rep. Martin Heinrich and in 2011 he received a President’s Call to Service Award by former U.S. President George W. Bush. Wellman has also been a student representative for multiple University boards and committees, including the Student Fee Review Board and Sustainability Council.

Neither candidate was selected, but Wellman said he was honored to have been able to compete at such a high level.

“I think it really hit home when we met the other candidates this past weekend and realized just how awesome and accomplished they all were,” he said. “And being in their company made me feel good about getting to this stage.”

The Rhodes scholarship is awarded annually to 80 college students worldwide, 32 of whom are from the United States. The award gives recipients the opportunity to study for two years at Oxford University in England. Two U.S. recipients are selected from each of 16 districts, divided up by state. New Mexico is in district 13, which also includes Colorado, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota and Utah.

Wright said applying for the scholarship was a long and arduous process that included a general application, a personal statement, a list of extracurricular activities, transcripts, eight letters of recommendation and interviews with a panel of six Rhodes scholars. She said the interviews were particularly nerve-wracking and that questions were often difficult to answer.

“I got some kind of off-the-wall questions,” she said. “I had one guy ask me why my morals were better than Hannibal Lecter’s morals. I think what he wanted was more of a philosophical answer, but I’m not a philosopher, I’m more of a scientist type.”

Wellman said one of the hardest parts of the application process was writing the personal statement. He said it’s crucial to represent yourself as accurately as possible so interviewers get to know you better as a person.

“Trying to put down all of my experiences and hopes and aspirations and really pour out my personality on a sheet of paper that’s a thousand words or less took a lot of time and many revisions,” he said.

Although neither student received the scholarship, the pair may have the opportunity to try again in the future. However, one scholarship recipient, Rachel Kolb, is an Albuquerque native who is a student at Stanford University.

Wellman said he does not wish to re-apply and that he has his sights set on law school once he graduates in May. Wright said she may re-apply for the scholarship after she is accepted into medical school in hopes of improving her application and her chances of receiving the scholarship.

“I’m open to new possibilities, especially because I love to travel,” she said. “If I want to apply again, at least I know I can do that.”