“It’s A Wonderful Life” falls flat, runs at the Albuquerque Little Theatre through Dec. 24

culture@dailylobo.com

It’s December again, so it’s time to celebrate white-skinned Jesus, Coca-Cola, dreidels and holiday-themed everything. The Albuquerque Little Theatre welcomes the season with something familiar: “It’s a Wonderful Life,” the holiday tale of a noble man’s Christmas Eve suicide averted by the sudden appearance of a guardian angel.

After a lengthy preshow speech in which the executive director begs for more money, the Christmas spirit can begin.

The play suffers a bit as an adaptation of the 1946 classic film. The new structure of the script mainly mimics the film, only deviating when the staging of certain scenes would be too difficult. Some big events are merely mentioned, such as the rescue of young Harry Bailey or the dramatic collapse of the gym floor into a swimming pool.  

The first half is a bit stiff. Most cast members talk with their hands too much and take their verbal cues from the rigid delivery style of the classic-film era from which the play hails.

The most interesting part of the play by far is the hellscape of a world where George Bailey, the main character, never existed. The stage is flooded with red light, avant-garde horror sounds are piped over everything, prostitution is implied and the townspeople suddenly howl like zombies. It was so different from the rest of the play that it’s a shame the sequence didn’t last longer. 

Scott Bryan plays George Bailey, an everyman of the people and a role made famous by Jimmy Stewart. Bryan shows his strengths when he is given free rein to joke and clown, and he is without a doubt the highlight of the show. The emotional depth of his desire for suicide in the opening of the show, however, is somewhat lacking.

It is when George’s life and sanity fall apart that Bryan’s frenetic weirdness truly shines and entertains. 

Uncle Billy Bailey, played by Jeff Hudson, is the buffoonish partner in Bryan’s comedy. The two actors’ physical instincts and strange styles work well together.

Villain Mr. Potter, played by Thom Hinks, is exceptionally good: believable, gratifying and an easy evil.

Kate Costello is an enjoyable Mrs. Bailey, despite her part’s lack of depth.

Maureen Trujillo is satisfying as Ma Bailey, particularly in her contrast between soft matron and cigarette-smoking hag.  

I did miss the rather outdated black servant woman from the film; I was hoping the quite faithful adaptation would include the stock Aunt Jemima character. 

Overall, though, the whole thing is a bit bland. The costumes and set pieces are all grand and attractive, but Christmas fuzzies aren’t really achieved, even with the help of the incredibly adorable little girl, Ryan Stearns, as Zuzu. 

The Albuquerque Little Theatre is safe theater. It makes conservative choices for plays, things with established media, so that the elderly crowd will come in droves.

Then the awkwardly long beg-a-thon begins in earnest. With the entire large cast still jammed onstage, another embarrassingly long-winded plea for money occurs. The actors twiddle their thumbs and wait as children are sent literally palms-open to wait for your money to fall into them. 

Ah, Christmas.

“It’s A Wonderful Life”
Based on the Frank Capra film
Adapted for the stage by James W. Rogers
Directed by Art Tedesco

Albuquerque Little Theatre
224 San Pasquale Ave. S.W.

Friday and Saturday, 8 p.m.
Sunday, 2 p.m.

Plus two special performances: 
Thursday, Dec. 13, 8:00 p.m. 
Monday, Dec. 24 matinee,
1:00 p.m.

Runs through Dec. 24
$18 student
$22 Adults

For tickets and reservations, visit albuquerquelittletheater.org or call (505)- 242-4750.