UNM Crime Briefs

Cops: Travelstead Hall computers stolen
At some point between Dec. 21 and Jan. 1, an unknown suspect entered a locked room in Travelstead Hall and stole UNM property. According to the UNMPD report, UNM staff is still working on the full inventory, but at the time staff members reported a Mac Book and two iMacs missing. Two UNMPD detectives collected fingerprints and took photographs at the scene. No further information was available at the time of the report.

Credit card fraud reported at UNMH
UNMH employee Maila Sanchez was working the graveyard shift between Dec. 30 and 31 when someone used her credit card without her knowing, according to the UNMPD report. According to the report, CitiBank called about suspicious purchases made with the card, and when she looked for the card in her purse, she saw that it wasn’t in the place she usually kept it. Sanchez told police she suspects someone took the card, made a note of the card number, and put it back. Her purse was “in a secure area with limited access, by key card only, to hospital personnel.”
The unknown suspect used the card to purchase an iPad 2 and ship it to an address in Texas, according to the report. Police were unable to obtain latent fingerprints from the card. Sanchez told police she had alerted security and they were working to access video surveillance of the incident at the time of the report. No further information was available at the time.

Student reports his motorcycle vandalized
UNM student Michael McDonald returned to Lobo Village at 8 a.m. on Jan. 6 and discovered that his motorcycle had been vandalized, according to the UNMPD report. McDonald told UNM police he had legally parked it there at 9 p.m. on Jan. 5. According to the report, the officer arrived to find the motorcycle on its side. The reported damage includes a broken windshield, two broken mirrors, dents on the gas tank, scrapes on both sides of the motorcycle, bent and scraped foot pegs, and broken brakes.

iPad reported stolen from law library
At some point between Sept. 18 and Jan. 9, an unknown suspect stole an iPad from UNM staff member Sherri Burr. According to the UNMPD report, Burr said she may have left it in the Gov. Bruce King Reading Room in the UNM School of Law Library, because that is where she remembers last using it. The iPad is valued at approximately $499, and will be entered into the National Crime Information Center database. There were no suspects at the time of the report.