The Weekly Free

There’s no other way to say it: Finals are a b****. But the week before is usually worse, especially when teachers “do you a favor” and move your final to the week before finals week. You just can’t win. To take a break from those early finals, check out this week’s freebies.

IPAD TRAINING
TUESDAY
If you’re only using your iPad to play “Angry Birds” on a larger screen, you’re missing out. Join one of these iPad tutorial sessions to learn how you can use it for school, too. The hourlong workshops start at 10 a.m., 11:30 a.m. and 1 p.m. in the Bookstore.

GAMES FOR CHANGE
WEDNESDAY
Some honors students spent their semester creating video games, which you can try out for yourself. Bring an iPod and download the ARIS software, or you can just use provided iPods. Then vote for your favorite game. The event, with refreshments, runs from 11 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. in the Honors Forum below the Student Health Center.

RING CEREMONY
WEDNESDAY
If you’re wondering about all those emails telling you to buy a class ring, then check out the ring ceremony where all will be revealed. The history and significance of wearing your class ring is explained, and students who participate will dip their hands in red dye that stays there for a day. They can then get discounts at local businesses for showing their bloody-looking hand. It sounds a bit cultish to me, but I guess true Lobos dye hard or go home. The event runs from 6:30 to 9 p.m. in SUB Ballrooms B and C.

CONCEPTIONS SOUTHWEST
THURSDAY
This epic release of one of UNM’s literary magazines features music, food and speeches by authors and artists who were published in the 2013 magazine. Led by a volunteer staff, the magazine publishes badassery from all corners of UNM — from photography to creative nonfiction. Plus, see if you can find the puzzling surprise hidden within the pages of the magazine. The festivities run from 6 to 8 p.m. in the Honors Forum below the Student Health Center.

UNDIE RUN
THURSDAY
Who doesn’t want to hang out with a bunch of bros in their underwear on a Thursday night? If that doesn’t sound appealing, think of it this way: Who doesn’t want to raise awareness of homelessness on a Thursday night? Strip to your skivvies and be at Johnson Field by 8 p.m.

SPRING FREEDOM
FRIDAY THROUGH SUNDAY
The Spring Freedom Fest 2013 features an arts and crafts fair, a dance competition, a mad hatters tea party and a fashion show. The event, which seeks to raise awareness about human trafficking, runs from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday, Saturday and Sunday at the New Mexico Veterans Memorial at 1100 Louisiana Blvd. S.E.