Campus briefs

Halloween Blood Drive

ASUNM Community Experience is hosting a Halloween Blood Drive in partnership with United Blood Services. According to UNM, the Bloodmobile will be at the statue area near the SUB today and tomorrow from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Walk-ins and appointments are welcome inside Ballroom C at the SUB.

For more information, contact ASUNM Community Experience or tce@unm.edu.

Auditions set for Lobo’s Got Talent

Audition applications are now being accepted through Wednesday for the seventh annual Lobo’s Got Talent contest. According to UNM, the first 32 acts to submit an application and register for an audition time will be guaranteed audition spots.

Applications can be dropped off at room 1018 at the SUB. Auditions will be held Nov. 10 and 11. Judges will choose 12 to 14 acts from the auditions to perform in the Lobo’s Got Talent finals. Performances will be judged on showmanship, quality of act, creativity/artistic interpretation and overall performance.

The contest will be held Nov. 14. The first-place winner receives $500, second place $350, third place $150 and a people’s choice award winner will receive $100.

All students are invited to participate. For an application and more information visit http://sac.unm.edu/images/tempfiles/November/LGT_Rules_2014.pdf or call (505)277-4706.

Science chats and brewery taps

The monthly seminar series Science on Tap will feature mechanical engineering professor Peter Vorobieff this month with a discussion on “From Ripples and Spills to Supernovae.” According to its blog, Science on Tap is an event to eat, drink and talk about science at a local brewery.

According to UNM, Vorobieff’s primary research interests are in the area of fundamental hydrodynamic instability studies, renewable energy and advanced experimental techniques. He also serves as associate editor of American Society of Mechanical Engineers’ Journal of Fluids Engineering.

The event will be held at Chama River Brewing Company.

For more information and future events visit scienceontapnm.blogspot.com .

A $1.7 million grant for UNM Children’s Campus

The U.S. Department of Education awarded the UNM childcare center Children’s Campus a four-year, $1.7 million grant. According to UNM, the center will receive $427,000 annually from the Child Care Access Means Parents in School grant. The Children’s Campus provides early childhood education and care for UNM student, staff and faculty parents.

The grant allows the center to offer free or reduced childcare to Pell-eligible student-parents while they are in class.

For more information visit childcare.unm.edu.

Sarah Belle Brown Community Service Awards announced

The Office of the President has announced the 2014 Sarah Belle Brown Community Service Award winners. According to UNM, this year’s recipients include student award winner Priscila Poliana, faculty award winner Dr. Arti Prasad and staff award winner Ashley Taylor.

“These outstanding individuals exemplify UNM’s commitment to community service,” President Bob Frank said. “They have gone above and beyond to help those in need and inspire change for the best.”

Poliana, an urban and regional planning graduate student, is the current project planner for the STEM UP Cooperative where she has helped minority and economically disadvantaged students participate in science, technology, mathematics and engineering programs. As former GPSA president, Poliana increased transparency in fees and tuition costs and helped enact a tuition freeze in 2013-14. As a member and co-founder of the Brazil Club, she helped facilitate the inclusion of international students in the greater UNM community.

Prasad, the division chief of the Department of Internal Medicine and executive medical director for the Center for Life, has served on the medical advisory board of the Cancer Services of New Mexico since early 2000. She volunteers her time twice a year at the Family Cancer Retreat giving lectures to cancer patients, families and caregivers. Prasad also gives public service lectures to People Living through Cancer, Lymphoma and Leukemia Society, Nancy Floyd Haworth Foundation Educational Seminar and a variety of private, public and non-profit organizations.

Taylor, a senior academic advisor at the Anderson School of Management is a volunteer at Crossroads for Women, an Albuquerque organization that provides support for women who are homeless, suffer from mental illness and/or are addicted to drugs. She has organized supplies and clothing drives and plans events for the organization. Every year, Taylor prefers to spend her birthday performing random acts of kindness for others.

The Sarah Belle Brown awards have been endowed by former Anderson School of Management Dean Doug and his wife Sarah Brown to recognize the volunteer service work done by members of the UNM community. The faculty and staff recipients each receive $1,500, and the student recipient receives a $1,000 scholarship.

~ Compiled by Erika Eddy