Zachary Gallegos

Zachary Gallegos

Grad student one step closer to Mars

This Dutch non-profit agency has set a goal of sending the first four-person crew to Mars in 2024, and then successive crews every two years after, according to the Mars One website.

There is, however, no return mission planned. The astronauts would live out the rest of their lives on the Red Planet.

The program plans to raise some of its funding through a reality TV program that will follow the astronauts’ selection process through their first few years on Mars.

The Daily Lobo spoke to Gallegos about making the cut and his potential journey.

How did you hear about Mars One and did you know immediately that you wanted to participate?

“I remember hearing about the Mars One mission when it was still only an idea. Immediately is the correct word — there was virtually no time between my discovery of the mission and my decision to go to Mars. I applied for many reasons: it is an historic event, it is scientifically exciting as a planetary geologist, and it is an opportunity for me to influence the world for the better and inspire humanity.”

How did it feel to find out you passed the next selection round and are now one out of 700 applicants down from more than 200,000?

“It was amazing. I was ecstatic. Like a lifelong dream becoming reality.”

MIT recently released a study illustrating the problems with the mission. Mars’ unsafe oxygen levels, unreliable water supply and no certain way for crew members to get supplies were the main points of concern. What are your feelings towards this study and do you believe the necessary technologies will be available in time?

“All technologies for the Mars One mission currently exist. Some need to be fitted for Mars One applications, but the issues mentioned in the MIT study have simple fixes. An example that stands out is excess oxygen from food production in the habitats. This is easily remedied with a simple oxygen concentrator. The extracted oxygen can be pumped out to the Martian atmosphere or stored and used as fuel. The study brought some relevant issues to light, so I see it as a good thing. Now we are better able to prepare for a complete, successful mission.”

Tell me more about the reality television aspect of the mission.

“Mars One is not a reality television show. It is based in reality and will be broadcast to the entire world — however, one might better envision it as an event in history that will be fully documented to share with all of humanity. Think BBC’s ’Planet Earth,’ but with astronauts and Mars. I believe it is my responsibility to relay everything about the mission to those back here on Earth, so it doesn’t bother me.”

What interests you most about Mars?

“Mars is the most Earth-like body in our solar system, which makes it an excellent candidate for human exploration and colonization. It is also vastly different from Earth, with unexplained and unimagined phenomena waiting to be discovered. The science of the formation and evolution of the Red Planet has always been one of my primary interests. Going there is my primary interest.”

Most people would be scared of spending eight months traveling in a small spacecraft, much less spending the rest of their lives on a foreign planet. How do these possibilities make you feel?

“It is the reality of this mission and current space travel in general. Sacrifices must be made by explorers on every frontier, and this is no exception. For millennia, humans have set sail across open seas in small vessels, with only rudimentary technologies, knowing full well they might perish or never return. As for living on Mars, I believe I will be quite happy in my research. It will be a different part of my life, and I have accepted that. For now I just enjoy the fresh air and open spaces here on Earth.”

Marielle Dent is a freelance reporter for the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Marielle_Dent.