Yule celebrations light up the longest night

Among the commonly-known holidays this time of year, there is another lesser-known sacred day celebrated by those who practice witchcraft, generally referred to as Pagans. Yule, or Winter Solstice, is celebrated on Dec. 21 this year.

Erin Watson, president of the UNM Pagan Student Group, said she celebrates Yule by spending time with her fiancé, friends and family, as well as with her coven of witches.

“I think the big thing to remember is that regardless of the Solstice myth — and every culture has one — is the overarching theme of birth and rebirth, that it is a time of renewal and celebration,” Watson said.

Watson said she and her fiancé exchange gifts and decorate the house for their celebrations separate from the rituals they observe with the coven.

“We have an ersatz bonfire and give honor and thanks to the gods that we work with,” she said. “There are so many types of Paganism and celebrations of Yule, there isn’t a standard way of celebrating (Yule like) the standard way of celebrating Christmas, like with Christmas Mass.”

According to “How to Become a Witch” by Amber K and Azrael Arynn K, a book that presents key Pagan beliefs, the holiday marks the end of the six-week period beginning at Samhain, Oct. 31, that moves into the darkest time of the year and ends on the Winter Solstice — what some Pagans call “the dark time.”

The most commonly believed story about the origins of Yule is that of the Oak King and the Holly King. Each king rules half of the year, from one solstice to the next. One takes the crown from the other in an eternal battle that always takes place on Yule and Litha, the Summer Solstice, according to “How to Become a Witch.”

Harmony Montoya, a member of the Covenant of Unitarian Universalist Pagans, said that while her family is aware of many of the stories behind the holiday, it is more about celebrating the Goddess, the Supreme Being in Pagan belief, giving birth to the Sun God.

“Yule has always been viewed as a promise, because back in the day the winter was so cold and harsh. Yule is a promise of warmer days to come,” Montoya said. “It’s about giving and sharing what you have between friends and neighbors and loved ones.”

Montoya said in addition to giving gifts, her family celebrates Yule by putting up a tree, decorating logs and burning those logs in a fire to carry their wishes for the season to come.

For Watson, she said she appreciates the camaraderie and fellowship associated with celebrating this holiday.

“Winter is a difficult and dark time of the year,” Watson said. “The chance to gather with friends and family is always welcome.”

Skylar Griego is a book reviewer and freelance reporter for the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @DailyLobo.