Lobos lobby Legislature in session

This office serves as the University’s lead representative and advocate with elected officials, and ensures that important issues involving UNM are on their agendas.

As soon as the legislative session ends, Government Relations begins working with UNM groups to find the issues that matter most to the community for the next year’s session.

The office meets with constituency groups that include the Alumni Association, ASUNM, Faculty Senate, GPSA, the Parent Association, Staff Council and the Retirees Association, said Matt Munoz, a government relations specialist.

The topics compiled by those groups are brought to the leadership team, which includes the University President, Provost, the Chancellor of the medical school and the executive vice president of administration. This team considers issues they believe to be priorities and compiles a list to be taken to the Board of Regents, Munoz said.

Government relations seeks regent approval and takes a finalized list to the legislative interim committee process.

These sessions include everything outside of the 30/60-day legislative session. Interim committees are made up of both Senate and House members and focus on specific topics of interest, such as science and technology or health and human services.

“We start working with them to make those issues (important to UNM) a part of their work plan and try to get them on their agendas,” Munoz said. “This builds awareness so when we go into the (legislative) session they know what the programs are, rather than being hit on the fly. The interim session is where we get a lot of the legwork done.”

Once the legislative session begins, bills are drafted, and then heard on the floor by the Senate and House before passing on to be approved by the governor.

UNM’s interests are also communicated to legislators by a second active group: Lobos for Legislation is made up of University alumni who work on a volunteer basis.

“We are advocates not only for UNM but for high education in New Mexico,” said Harold Lavender, Lobos for Legislation chair. “Our goal is to visit with and talk to every single one of the legislators and let them know we support the University and that we’re behind legislation that’s positive.”

The group also sponsors several events in the name of the Alumni Association, including hosting a legislative reception at the La Fonda Hotel in Santa Fe every year during the legislative session. Lavender said it is well-attended and that he would be surprised to see fewer than 60 legislators attend this year.

On Monday, UNM Day will be hosted at the Roundhouse to build awareness with legislators about the work UNM students and faculty do and its importance to the state. Booths representing UNM’s many programs will be set up in the rotunda and two students and two faculty members will be highlighted and honored for their work.

“UNM Day is a good day for us to show that we’re not just important to Albuquerque: we have a statewide impact. We reach all the communities in the state,” Munoz said.

Marielle Dent is a staff reporter at the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Marielle_Dent.