UNM out two regents

Senate blocks Chandler's appointment, Koch resigns in protest

Former Clovis prosecutor and Republican Matt Chandler was appointed to the board by Gov. Susana Martinez in December, but his appointment was shot down on March 13 with a 23-17 vote.

Shortly before the vote and following an argumentative committee hearing where Democrats railed against Chandler’s past political activity, 12-year Board of Regents veteran James Koch sent the governor his resignation letter, citing the Senate’s treatment of Chandler as his reason.

“Despite my extensive political activity on behalf of the Democratic party, the Senate unanimously confirmed me to the Board earlier this week,” Koch wrote in his resignation letter. “Based on this committee and the Senate’s rationale for refusing to confirm an eminently qualified nominee because of his political activity, I do not think I can continue to serve having myself spent many years involved in Democratic politics.”

Before this, a gubernatorial appointee had not been voted down since 1997.

Most have interpreted the Senate’s move to block Chandler as being completely politically motivated. Martinez’ office called it “despicable politics at its worst.”

“The decision by these extreme Senate Democrats not to confirm a decent and highly qualified man is disgusting and pathetic,” said Enrique Knell, a spokesman for Martinez.

In an interview with the Albuquerque Journal, UNM President Bob Frank called the whole event a real loss for the University.

“We need these regents,” Frank said in the interview. “We’re facing enormous financial challenges right now. Being a regent takes hundreds of hours. I have nothing but appreciation for their dedication.”

At the Senate committee hearing on Friday, Senate Democrats questioned Chandler about his role as treasurer for the political super PAC Advance New Mexico Now, which spent over $1 million in last year’s elections, including many ads attacking Democratic candidates.

Chandler defended himself by noting that other Board of Regent members have been involved in politics, including Koch and Javier Gonzales, who had both served as chairmen of the Democratic Party of New Mexico.

Senate Democrats also spoke to the committee about threats they had received from Republicans, including the governor’s office, about what might happen if they didn’t confirm Chandler.

Senate Democrat Jacob Candelaria from Albuquerque said a House Republican committee chair told him the appointment could affect whether certain bills made it to the floor.

“I will not be threatened, and I cannot be bought,” Candelaria said at the hearing.

Koch wrote in his resignation letter that he was disappointed the Senate descended to such partisan politics, and that he could not recall a lower point for the Senate.

“It is a disservice to Mr. Chandler, you (Susana Martinez), the University and the people of New Mexico who expect more than partisanship from their elected leaders,” Koch wrote in conclusion.

The governor accepted Koch’s resignation, and the Senate’s decision means that Chandler cannot be reappointed. There is no word yet on how the University will fill the two open seats on the Board of Regents.

Jonathan Baca is the news editor at the Daily Lobo. He can be contacted at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @JonGabrielB.