Cole Gautsche: Same name, new position

After three seasons, Lobo junior is making the shift from starting quarterback to tight end

Not many quarterbacks switch positions after starting for their first three years in college.

However, Cole Gautsche is making that transition. It was announced earlier this year that he will be moving to tight end after being New Mexico’s starting quarterback for the last three seasons. The junior will also redshirt this upcoming season in order to fully heal the broken left foot he suffered in a 31-28 win at UNLV this past November.

Gautsche hasn’t done much practicing this spring for his new position because he’s wearing a walking boot. When the boot comes off Gautsche doesn’t know, but he said he thinks the transition from quarterback to tight end is going smoothly.

“It’s a little different knowing the big picture and going down to the smaller stuff,” he said. “Knowing the big picture has helped me out a lot.”

Gautsche made it no secret that he does indeed miss playing quarterback, and he does try to give the other quarterbacks as much advice as he can.

“Just kind of being in the huddle and have everybody listen to me,” he said. “Plus the group of guys that are out there. They’re a great group of guys and I try to be there as much as I am now. I think it’s just the camaraderie that we had in that meeting room.”

The former quarterback said he knows he has to work on catching the football and his blocking skills. He said tight ends Reece White and Chris Edling have helped him out with both of those issues.

“That’s something that I definitely have to work on,” Gautsche said. “All of the running backs know that I would block for them a little bit if they cut it back. It’s definitely different being a hand on the ground tight end just kind of getting after it with some defensive lineman.”

The triple option offense came easy to Gautsche, as he averaged about 72 rushing yards per game and had eight 100-yard rushing games over his quarterback career.

Even with all of that success running the ball, Gautsche was never able to become a threat with his arm. In 26 career games, Gautsche threw for just 966 passing yards, an average of 37 yards.

The physical running style that Gautsche had at quarterback came with a price. He missed seven games due to various injuries and was unable to finish the last two seasons.

“I don’t honestly know what it’s all about, but hopefully I can redshirt because that’s one of the main reasons,” he said. “I want to redshirt just to get healthy.”

Head coach Bob Davie said he thinks that Gautsche does indeed have a future playing football after his collegiate career.

“Everybody is rooting for him, and he’s a heck of a football player,” Davie said. “You kind of want to put No. 8 back in there at quarterback because he’s so good at what we do. But I think it’s best for him and best for the program that he redshirts.”

If a pro career doesn’t materialize for Gautsche, he said he’ll pursue a coaching position.

“Just from all the coaches that have been in my life — they’ve all played big parts in my life and I would like to be that for somebody else,” he said. “I love the game so much. If I can’t play the game, I would like to coach it.”

Thomas Romero-Salas is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter
 @ThomasRomeroS.