Vice President of UNM Sigma Chi Joe Trujillo talks to Jeff Dan Herrera, middle, and Liz OReilly, left, about their fundraising event that took place at the Texas Roadhouse Tuesday evening. Sigma Chi will hold different events throughout the week.

Greeks organize cancer fundraiser

According to the Derby Days Facebook page, there are events held by Sigma Chi every day for the rest of the week.

Sigma Chi brother Jett Metcalf, a senior history and strategic communications double major, said the ultimate goal of Derby Days on a national scale is giving back to the community, primarily through supporting an established foundation by Sigma Chi.

“We are hoping to raise money for the Huntsman Cancer Foundation, which is a cancer research institute based out of Salt Lake City,” he said.

According to the document “Conducting a Successful Derby Days” found on sigmachi.org, Derby Days works to “promote brotherhood, the spirit of community service, and a positive Greek image.”

Although some of the week’s events are exclusive, friendly contests between UNM sororities, all students have a chance to donate at a free dance event Thursday at Imbibe from 9 p.m. to 2 a.m. Students were also invited to eat at Texas Roadhouse on Tuesday, from which 10 percent of profits went to Huntsman.

Metcalf said the majority of the money comes from this year’s sponsors, which include American Campus Communities, the Cottages and JK Services.

Between the week’s events, whether they are social or more competitive, Metcalf said he wants Sigma Chi members to get enthusiastic about Derby Days and the overarching reason it is held.

“I just hope the members will get very excited about our cause and (that it becomes) a more regular event on campus,” he said.

Metcalf said the last Derby Days event in 2012 raised about $2,000 and that the fraternity plans on holding another Derby Days this fall in an effort to make it more consistent.

The event is a mainstay for Sigma Chi chapters across the country ever since its inaugural event at UC Berkeley in 1916, he said. The event usually benefits local causes or the Huntsman Cancer Foundation.

Moises Ibarra, a junior political science major who is also a Sigma Chi brother, said he wants Derby Days to help cleanse Greek life of the negative stigma that is sometimes associated with it.

“I think sometimes people forget all the positive things that Greek life can do for a community,” Ibarra said. “Although this week is going to be stressful for the chapter, I just hope we can show how great Greek life can be.”

If students would like more information about particular events or where to register their sorority team, they can e-mail betaXIderbydays@gmail.com

David Lynch is a staff reporter at The Daily Lobo. He can be reached at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter 
@RealDavidLynch