Renovations for Anderson, Physics and Astronomy coming soon

UNM renovations could soon be reaching for the stars.

In addition to the planned renovations of Johnson Center, Smith Plaza and Anderson School of Management, the University plans to create a physics and astronomy interdisciplinary science facility to replace the outdated physics and astronomy building on north campus.

The new facility would be located on the Yale Mall across from Castetter Hall, the former location of a Bernalillo County water reservoir.

The reservoir has sat unused since 2011 and the University is in the process of purchasing the space, said Lisa Marbury, executive director of Institutional Support Services. That land, she said is key for UNM's master

UNM is in the process of acquiring the old reservoir, as the space is a key holding for the University master plan, Marbury said.

The master plan, adopted by the UNM Board of Regents in 2011, is a framework for campus renovations that seeks to move UNM forward as a flagship university, according to the UNM Institutional Support Services website.

“I think it’s very exciting,” Marbury said. “We are a great University doing great things for our students, and unfortunately some of our facilities are not up to current teaching and research needs.”

The construction of the new physics and astronomy building is scheduled to begin in early 2017 and will cost an estimated $66.4 million.

For another $25 million, Anderson School of Business will also get a facelift in the form of an extension to the facility where a parking lot is currently located.

“There’s that very small parking lot between Las Lomas and the current Anderson school,” said Kevin Stevenson, strategic planner for the Office of the President. “That lot is the site for the new building, and the plan is to add a third building there between the main building and the library, and it can be placed there without affecting the other two buildings.”

The main concern when it comes to Anderson, Stevenson said, is its lack of space. Students often aren’t able to take the classes they need because the current building doesn’t have enough space to offer all of the necessary courses.

“For instance, students who are minoring in business have a hard time getting into classes because there isn’t enough availability," he said. "This building adds more space because it’s a totally new facility that complements the existing one without having to get rid of them or taking them offline."

Construction on Anderson is scheduled to begin at the end of 2016.

Fin Martinez is a freelance reporter for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at News@Dailylobo.com or on Twitter @FinMartinez.