Thien Pham returns a shot against Pouria Khanbolouki at the tennis courts north of the Johnson Center on Friday afternoon. Intramural tennis is free and open to all enrolled students, faculty and staff.

Sports Issue: UNM's intramural, club sports often struggle to keep members

Lobo football and basketball aren’t the only sports on campus. The University offers intramural activities for students, plus club programs for a more competitive flair.

With students settling in to the fall semester, some might be looking for something to help escape the stresses that can come with being a student.

The new schedule of intramural sports has already begun, but there are several opportunities still available for students, faculty and staff to take advantage of. The intramural program is offered through Recreational Services at Johnson Center.

Lisa Romero, a recreational services coordinator, is in charge of running the intramural program and encourages students to sign up for events online. She said it is important for students to know that part of participating in the intramural events includes attending mandatory meetings.

“It’s important to come to the meetings. Today they will actually have a scavenger hunt,” Romero said. “Last week, the chemistry department visited and performed some demonstrations.”

Sarah Brammeier, a sophomore criminology major, said playing intramurals helps provide stress relief. She said that when school gets a little rough, she can just go play for an hour and come back refocused.

Brammeier said she has been playing soccer since she was four years old and played club soccer at the high school level.

“Sometimes I might be playing and see a familiar face,” she said. “It brings me back to my high school days.”

The program also allows students to meet new people and have fun along the way. Some students have used the intramural sports program to forge friendships and get the most out of their college experience.

Edward Hietter, a senior computer engineering major, said the process is really easy, and he makes time to play in as many intramural events as possible. In fact, Hietter said he has a friendly competition with one of his roommates, Jaime McCarthy, to see who can participate in the most.

“There is a lot of variety, but I like playing everything,” Hietter said.

Playing club sports comes with a set of obstacles that participants must overcome. Many club athletes say they welcome those challenges.

In addition to staying active in intramurals, McCarthy and Hietter have founded club sport teams. Hietter leads club golf, and McCarthy heads club running.

McCarthy said there have been many struggles along the way, including funding and retaining players from year to year.

“There is no problem getting people to participate; it’s keeping them. Funding for uniforms and travel expenses helps,” McCarthy said. “This is the first year we are expecting to collect dues from participants.”

Dustin Soflin, a junior business administration major, is the president of the UNM men’s rugby team. He said although rugby is a club sport at UNM, it is actually a varsity sport at many other schools. If someone has a chance to play for a scholarship at another school, there isn’t anything the UNM team can offer to match that opportunity.

Soflin said players have to shoulder some expense to play, as well. He said members can expect to pay about $250 to play, with an additional $80 for optional medical coverage.

Tom Goslau, the men’s rugby head coach, has said retaining players throughout the season is the biggest challenge. There were about 40 players at one of the team practices a few weeks ago, but the number will likely shrink as the season progresses.

Hietter said the golf club faces similar challenges.

“It is a little bit more of a commitment,” Hietter said.

Robert Maler is a freelance reporter for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @DailyLobo.