ASUNM column: What does college mean to you?

In a world where, on one hand “I’m Shmacked” attempts to capture what our University has to offer in one weekend, and on the other we can spend countless hours debating the future of the lottery scholarship, I can’t help but wonder: what is college really about?

I’m not here to answer that, because quite frankly I haven’t figured it out — not with absolute certainty, at least. When it’s all said and done, would a killer internship in a glamorous city be the be-all and end-all, or is it lasting memories of a rivalry tailgate? Is it the number at the top of your transcript, or the number of likes on your Instagram post last week? Is it starting your own student organization? Or is it something completely different?

Perhaps a successful college career can only be measured in the number of Frontier cinnamon rolls consumed, balloon launches seen and reciprocated flirty gazes at Red Rally. Maybe college is the heart-racing thrill of someone you like texting you back, and the calm after the storm that is finals.

Whatever a successful college career is to you, ASUNM wants to make sure you have the freedom to figure it out. Access to education is important to us, and we are doing everything in our power to make sure that you have the college experience you deserve. That starts with financial support.

Know that, in addition to our recent Lottery Scholarship Summit, we also are offering three $1,000 scholarships this semester to students. If you are interested in applying, please see our website. Additionally, if you want to know what we’re doing about the solvency of the lottery scholarship, please email us. We can’t lobby effectively without knowing YOUR concerns and ideas.

Maybe, in the end, our experiences are unique to who we are and what we value. For me, that’s easier to define with absolute certainty: for me, college will be successfully having a drink that I can call mine at Satellite, and having people to share that coffee with. Email me what college is for you. And please check out the ways we are working to make YOUR college experience the best it can be.

Alex Cervantes is the vice president for the Associated Students of UNM.