William Dole (center) acts in a play titled The Day Room.

Five and why: William Dole

William Dole, the executive director of the ASUNM Southwest Film Center and a junior majoring in theater, said people frequently ask him about his favorite movies because he selects the schedule of films to be shown at the Southwest Film Center. After great deliberation, here are his top five films and why he chose them:

1. “Django Unchained” directed by Quentin Tarantino

“I love this film because it is one of Quentin Tarantino’s best films of late. The entire cast give stellar performances, and Quentin’s auteur directing style is highlighted in all of its technical elements, especially set dressing and cinematography. Whenever I want to watch an action-packed drama filled with gore and violence, I always return to Tarantino, as his storytelling is like none other. 'Django Unchained' fully showcases Tarantino at his best.”

2. “Black Swan” directed by Darren Aronofsky

“Natalie Portman makes this film for me. The transformation of her character from the beginning of the film to her final moments on screen is astounding. She fully committed herself to the role of Nina, putting months of work into learning the art of ballet – and dislocating a rib at the same time. All of her hard work in portraying the struggle of a dancer in this delicate art form paid off in one of the best performances of her career.”

3. “American Beauty” directed by Sam Mendes

“Kevin Spacey in ‘American Beauty’ gives one of the best acting performances that I have ever seen. The supporting cast also brings this spin on ordinary suburban life to fruition, especially Annette Bening. One of the most iconic scenes in this film is when Kevin Spacey is lying in bed and he is imagining Angela in a pile of rose petals. The imagery in this scene is one that has stuck with me, and perfectly represents the subject matter of the film in a single minute. There are many iconic moments like this in this film, and that’s why it’s definitely in my top five.”

4. “Bridesmaids” directed by Paul Feig

“Comedy is a hard genre to crack. It is very subjective to each audience member, and knowing your audience is key. ‘Bridesmaids’ is one of the more recent comedies to be released that can truly appeal to a variety of audiences. Kristen Wiig and Annie Mumolo created a glorious screenplay that had me laughing for hours, and was a fresh approach on a topic that seems mundane and ordinary. The cast elevates the script to make ‘Bridesmaids’ one of the best comedy movies in recent memory.”

5. “Spirited Away” directed by Hayao Miyazaki

“I love animated films, and ‘Spirited Away’ would have to be one of the best animated films I have ever seen. Hayao Miyazaki does a great job in telling this unique and colorful story. I remember watching this film as a kid, and it instantly made me appreciate the storytelling that could be displayed through the medium of animation. If there are people who do not think that animation can appeal to an adult audience, I would encourage them to watch ‘Spirited Away’ along with other films from Studio Ghibli.”

Josh Lane is a culture reporter for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @DailyLobo.