Lobo linebacker Maurice Daniels (58) brings down NMSU running back Larry Rose III, resulting in a fumble recovery and touchdown for UNM. The Lobos play Hawai’i on Saturday at University Stadium.

Lobos look to get triple-option up and running again versus Hawai'i

At the halfway point of the season, New Mexico is still trying to work out the kinks in its offense.

UNM’s’ triple-option attack hasn’t been as precise as it has in the past. Good teams have figured out how to snuff out the Lobos’ threat on the edge and stop them from gaining yards up the middle.

Even with UNM’s struggles, the Lobos rank 11th in the nation in rushing offense, averaging 264.2 yards per game.

“Offensively, we’ve hit a little bit of a lull,” head coach Bob Davie said. “We’re triple option and we do a good job with it, but it’s watered down a little bit. We’re not as crisp blocking as we were.”

With the Lobos (3-3, 1-1 Mountain West) unable to run to the outside against good defenses, tailback Jhurell Pressley’s production has slipped. Pressley is one of the most dynamic backs UNM has to offer, but after rushing for more than nine yards per carry last season, the redshirt senior is gaining just 4.6 yards per attempt.

In UNM’s 35-17 loss to Nevada last week, Pressley had just five carries for 13 yards. It was his lowest rushing total of the season thus far.

“That’s a big issue for us right now,” Davie said. “If they’re not letting you pitch it, how do we get the ball to Jhurell more?”

UNM’s next opponent, Hawaii (2-4, 0-2 MW), has had a rough go on away games this season. The Warriors are 0-3 away from the Aloha State and have been outscored 121-0.

Granted, all of Hawaii’s games on the mainland were against teams ranked in the top-25, including defending national champion Ohio State, Boise State and Wisconsin.

The Lobos are a 5.5-point favorite over the Warriors at University Stadium on Saturday.

“Comparatively speaking, this is a Mountain West Conference team this isn’t a SEC team, Big-12 team or a PAC-12 team,” Davie said. “Comparatively, it’s the toughest schedule in college football without a doubt.”

Quarterback Max Wittek, who transferred from USC, is the leader of Hawaii’s spread offense. However, Wittek has had a difficult season thus far, completing just 44.9 percent of passes for just 162.5 yards per game, and he has thrown eight interceptions versus just five touchdowns.

Wittek injured his right knee in the Warriors’ 28-14 loss to San Diego State last week, but he returned to the game.

“They’ve got some weapons,” Davie said. “They’re a very aggressive team on both sides of the ball. I know they’re hungry for a win.”

The Warriors’ 3-5-3 defense hasn’t done much this season. They rank 102nd in terms of total defense, giving up 435.2 yards per game.

UNM’s triple-option offense should bounce back against a Hawaii defense that gives up 231.5 rushing yards a game.

“That is a very unique offense. They do a good job with it,” Hawaii head coach Norm Chow said of the Lobos to the Hawaii Tribune-Herald. “These guys run everything. It will be a huge challenge for us.”

Thomas Romero-Salas is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @ThomasRomeroS.