Review: 'Battering Ram' harkens back to Metal's heyday

Most people are familiar with the expression “third time’s the charm.” But for British heavy metal band Saxon, it seems the 21st time is the charm.

On Oct. 30, Saxon released its 21st studio album, “Battering Ram.” One might think the band’s sound would get old after 21 records, but the newest release is as great a classic metal album as any released this year.

The opening track, for which the album is named, sets a great fast pace for those looking to rock out. Saxon saved the long-winded intros for later in the album and jumped right in with epic guitar shredding and heart-pounding double bass.

Biff Byford sets an excellent tone for “Battering Ram” with his powerful vocals and high-pitched harmonies. His great diction adds to the effect as he alternates between gritty and clear vocal tones.

Nothing gets a metal-head like a cheesy metal scream. You know the one: the high-pitched squeal that only metal gods like Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson and Judas Priest’s Rob Halford can master. Byford does an excellent rendition of the cheesy metal scream in many of the songs. The best on this record would be the ending of “The Devils Footprint” and the ending of “Destroyer.” There’s nothing like yelling in falsetto to get your blood pumping.

Another metal classic that appears throughout “Battering Ram” is the shredding guitar solos that make fans want to headbang their lives away. Paul Quinn and Doug Scarratt kill it on guitars, especially on the third track, “Queen of Hearts.” Who can resist a good “Alice in Wonderland” reference, complete with heavy riffs and decapitation? Not this critic.

The dissonant tones present in “Queen of Hearts” and “To the End” on the album take listeners back to the ‘80s, a time when epic story-telling metal dominated our youth’s music collections. There’s a definite Dave Mustaine vibe going on with Byford’s vocals in some of the darker songs. Fans of Megadeth, Mustaine’s band, are likely to enjoy these songs the most.

Another blast from the past can be found in “Stand Your Ground” with the inclusion of synthesizers. This will definitely take listeners back to the brief time when metal musicians were trying to make intros sound like aliens communicating in outer space. Luckily, Saxon didn’t overdo the synth effect and kill the heaviness.

For those familiar with one of Saxon’s more popular hits, “Princess of the Night,” you are sure to love “Top of the World.” From the first note to the last, Saxon once again captures that rush you get when listening to a grand tale of heroism, just as they did in “Princess of the Night.”

Another favorite is the second to last track, “Kingdom of the Cross.” The bass begs for listeners’ attention with ominous low notes that resonate through listeners’ bodies. This riff continues steadily as a raspy narrator tells a story for the first two minutes of the song, giving a hypnotic groove to the rhythm of his voice.

The only mistake Saxon made was placing a song after “Kingdom of the Cross.” While there is nothing wrong with “Three Sheets to the Wind,” it’s somewhat anticlimactic after the rising energy of the track before it.

Overall, “Battering Ram” can be counted as another hit on Saxon’s list. If you’re not into numerous speaking intros or cheesy screams in the background, this album may not be for you. But if you’re looking to find some new music with the old sound of epic metal, look no further than “Battering Ram.”

Skylar Griego is the culture editor at the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @TDLBooks.