ASUNM president Jenna Hagengruber speaks at ASUNM's final fall 2015 senate meeting in the SUB Ballroom Wednesday night. A resolution was passed thanking LoboRESPECT for the work they have done to bring awareness about sexual assault on campus. 

Four things to know from ASUNM's Nov. 19 meeting

The Associated Students of UNM, the undergraduate student governing body, held their final senate meeting of the fall semester on Wednesday. Here are the big takeaways, with more coverage coming on Monday.

1. New capital outlay proposal

During her report, ASUNM President Jenna Hagengruber discussed plans to partner with UNM’s Office of Government and Community Relations to propose $300,000 in new lighting for the main campus.

She said the original plan was to ask for about $125,000 in new lighting before she was contacted by Government Relations Specialist Matt Muñoz, who proposed the partnership to increase that amount by more than double.

Although the initiative is still in the early stages, Hagengruber said that the top priorities are A Lot and South Lot.

South Lot in particular is an area where many students have asked for better lighting to improve security and safety. Hagengruber said they are in talks with the Athletics Department, as that department is in charge of that area.

2. Vacant positions to be filled soon

In her report, Hagengruber also gave updates on a pair of key positions that were recently vacated.

Following former ASUNM Director of Communications Jordan Monroe’s resignation on Nov. 6, Executive Director of Governmental Affairs James Clarke also stepped down recently, Hagengruber said.

Hagengruber said that like Monroe, Clarke had come into other opportunities that he needed to devote his time and attention to.

“We’re going to be happy for James, sad to see him go, but happy that he got this super cool opportunity,” Hagengruber said.

She said the window to apply for both positions closed on Wednesday, and that she plans to have both positions filled by Monday.

3. LoboRESPECT commended in infancy

With a 14-1-0 vote ASUNM passed the final resolution presented this semester, thanking LoboRESPECT for the work they have done to combat sexual assault and raise awareness on campus.

“ASUNM praises the work being done by LoboRESPECT and thanks them for tackling these sensitive issues with care and grace,” Resolution 4F states.

The legislation’s passing also pledges ASUNM‘s continued support of the organization in order to create a safer campus.

LoboRESPECT was created last semester, in an initiative headed up by the Dean of Students office. A physical advocacy center connected to the organization opened in September, providing a streamlined resource for victims of sexual harassment and hazing.

The resolution was introduced by senators Brad Sedillo, Delia Brennan, Caleb Heinz, Ben Maggard, Olivia Padilla and Jordan Allen.

Maggard said that, since the organization is so young, it was important to recognize the impact it has already made on campus.

Sen. Gabe Gallegos also stated his support for the legislation, calling LoboRESPECT a blessing for UNM.

“It brings everything to a forefront…as far as campus safety and sexual assault,” Gallegos said. “I think having a document this well-researched…this is going to be a great paper trail to justify funding of (future) grants.”

The sentiment wasn’t universally felt. Sen. Ryan Boyle said he was concerned about the resolution’s timing.

“I feel like it’s a little bit premature to send our praises to this organization that hasn’t had much time to show whether it will be successful or not,” Boyle said.

Boyle was ultimately the resolution’s only nay vote.

A similar resolution was passed earlier in the semester thanking PATS for all their efforts in helping the student body.

4. Appropriations

46F – Unanimously passes

$1,353 to Rotaract to help fund their annual fall banquet.

47F – Unanimously passes

$494 to the Geology Club to fund a trip to southern New Mexico for geological study.

48F - Unanimously passes

$2,362 to the International Medical Delegation: Dominican Republic to help fund a trip to the Dominican Republic, including travel, lodging and food and water.

49F – Unanimously passes

$483 to the Institute of Nuclear Materials Management for operating costs, including conference attendance fees and instructional materials.

50F – Unanimously passes

$402 to Student United Way to pay for food at meetings, as well as group advertising and office supplies.

51F – Unanimously passes

$613 to the Biology Undergraduate Society to help fund operating costs for Wolf Fest, a networking event.

52F – Unanimously passes

$774 to the ASUNM Executive Branch to help pay for refreshments for Student Success Week events.

David Lynch is the news editor at the Daily Lobo. Contact him at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @RealDavidLynch.