Hanging of the Greens scheduled for Friday

One of UNM’s oldest traditions – the setting up of hundreds of luminarias around main campus – will start Friday, according to a UNM press release.

The event is hosted by the UNM Mortar Board Honor Society, according to the release, and will begin at 5:45 p.m. this year. Attendees can indulge in free coffee and cookies at the UNM Bookstore at that time.

This year there is a caroling route to get attendees in the holiday spirit that will makes its way to University House and Hodgin Hall.

The tradition began in the early 1930s, according to the release, when Lena Clauve, a student at the time, began the custom.

“The tradition started with students driving to the Sandia Mountains, where they would gather greenery, which they would use to decorate the Student Union Building,” the release states.

The tradition started with students driving to the Sandia Mountains, where they would gather greenery, which they would use to decorate the Student Union Building.

There will also be a special holiday sale at the UNM Bookstore the day prior to the event, according to the release. There will also be live music and refreshments, as well as an opportunity to get special deals on Lobo attire.

David Lynch is the news editor for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @RealDavidLynch.