​UNM provides mattresses to needy

The UNM Hospital is expected to donate around 75 minimally used mattresses to local city shelters to provide a need for impoverished women and families with children, according to a UNM Health Sciences Center release.  

UMNH is replacing a number of its gently-used mattresses with new ones, according to the release, resulting in the generosity.

The mattresses will first undergo some inspections to ensure they are safe to be used, according to the release.

Albuquerque Rescue Missions Executive Director Rene Palacios said in the release that she is grateful for the donation, which will be put to good use.

“It’s easy to forget about the shelter and the people here,” Palacios was quoted as saying. “This is a very tangible way to show our guests that people are thinking of them.”

According to the website for St. Martin’s Hospitality Center, Albuquerque’s poverty level ranks fifth in the nation.

The Albuquerque Rescue Mission, which will be accepting the mattresses, has been in existence since 1954, according to their website. The shelter provides shelter, food and clothing to the needy in the city.

David Lynch is the news editor for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @RealDavidLynch.