Members of the Lobo football team bow their heads as speakers tell stories of Markel Byrd Sunday afternoon in the SUB Ballroom. Incorporated into the memorial service was an opening prayer and several slideshows featuring Byrd.

Memorial held for Lobo football player Markel Byrd

Hundreds of people gathered Sunday afternoon to celebrate the life of student-athlete Markel Byrd, the Lobo football player who died in a car accident in December.

Among those in attendance was head football coach Bob Davie, the first person to speak and share his memories about Byrd.

Davie remarked on the turnout for the memorial, which was held in the SUB Ballroom, saying it’s a confirmation of the impact Byrd, and his loss, has had on the entire community.

Davie spoke highly of Byrd as a player, calling him absolutely fearless. In 40 years of involvement with college football, Byrd was as unique a young man as he’s ever been around, he said.

“He was never afraid to make a mistake on the football field, and that is why he was such a good player,” he said.

Davie spoke about how jersey number 22 would no longer be worn for the rest of what would be Byrd’s collegiate seasons, amounting to the next two years. He also commented on Byrd’s drive to wear number 1 on his jersey, something Davie said his players have to work to earn, both in the classroom and as a member of the team.

Also in attendance was Byrd’s family, who had traveled from his hometown, San Diego, to attend the memorial. Of the family member’s in attendance, only Byrd’s father William spoke on the family’s behalf.

He expressed how much the loss of his son meant to him and how it will never compare to anything else.

“He’s in a better place and there is nothing I can say or do to change that,” he said. “But one thing I will do is, I will learn to live with it. Because I know God doesn’t make mistakes.”

Slideshows highlighted Byrd’s impact on the field, as well as a video in which several Lobo players shared memories of Byrd, with the common theme of a joyous, fun-loving and upbeat individual.

Many others spoke at the memorial sharing their thoughts and memories of Byrd, including his teammates. All of the team’s defensive backs were called up to the stage, and three players shared their own stories and experiences with Byrd.

Cornerback Cranston Jones said Byrd was a goofy, fun-loving person.

“He had a laugh that would make you laugh, even if it wasn’t funny,” Jones said.

Byrd was a graduate of Horizon Christian Academy in San Diego and continued his football career at UNM. He redshirted his freshman season.

During his career Byrd performed his way to being one of the top safeties in the program, finishing the 2015 campaign with three interceptions, 44 tackles and a game saving tackle against Boise State to help bring the Lobos a victory, according to the UNM athletics website.

During his remarks, Davie called Byrd an incredibly mature player, one who plays by instinct to success. Then he unveiled a new jersey for Byrd, saying he had worked for it; a jersey with his name, and the number 1 right below it.

Byrd died on Dec. 22 when a tire blew out on his car near Gallup. Byrd died at the scene, his passenger survived. They were driving to San Diego to visit Byrd’s family for the holidays.

Chirrisse Bryce Owens is a student at the communication and journalism department. 

David Lynch, the managing editor at the Daily Lobo, contributed reporting to this story. He can be reached at managingeditor@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @RealDavidLynch.