Column: New student fees will provide renovations that will benefit underclassmen, graduates alike

It is often difficult to pinpoint exactly why student fees increase from one semester to the next. I, too, become quite confused when navigating my bursars account. On Friday, Feb. 11, the regents authorized the refinancing and refunding of previously issued institutional bonds while also authorizing administration to purchase additional bonds, generating approximately $55 million dollars for the University.

Why, you may ask? After years of planning and discussion, both administration and student leadership came to the agreement that some of our facilities are behind the times. Do you remember your first course in Johnson Gym? As a young and innocent freshman, I left my dorm room 30 minutes early to navigate the dark and musty halls of Johnson to find my introduction to racquetball class. After gathering up the courage to ask some strangers for directions, I found my class with just a few minutes to spare. Johnson Gym is set to receive $35 million of the new money for a renovation and much needed face-lift.

By the time this project is finished, faculty, staff and students will benefit from additional weight room space, an indoor running track and an indoor corridor which connects Johnson Field to main campus. If you’re an underclassman, you may be here long enough to see these plans turn into reality. Us old guys may not. However, this is no reason to be discouraged.

Dr. Steven Yourstone of the Anderson School of Management speaks to this dilemma in a release he issued to students about the new building that will be erected for the business school.

“When schools build new structures, the prestige and ranking of your degree rises,” he says. “New facilities raise the image of a school and attract job recruiters, great faculty and additional financial donations.” Dr. Yourstone discusses how his alma mater, the University of Washington, invested monies into a new business school after his graduation. He and his fellow graduates saw the prestige and value of their degrees rise.

The Anderson School of Management will receive $18 million of the new monies to construct a new, state of the art, 65,000 square foot facility tailored to the needs of modern day business students. This building will replace previous buildings built in the 1960’s. The building will feature modern learning spaces with the latest technologies, similar to those in the recently built Collaborative Teaching and Learning Building, home of Einstein Bagels. Business students will benefit from a new career services center, tutoring labs, and technologically advanced classrooms.

Smith Plaza, the large outdoor common area between the SUB and Zimmerman library will also receive a makeover. Being at the epicenter of campus between two of the University’s most visited structures, this area has large potential to become a prime destination, like the Duck Pond.

While new charges are never fun, the new student fees implemented in the next academic year will change UNM for the better. The future is promising and these new projects will propel our University forward.

Ryan Berryman is the Student Regent on the UNM Board of Regents. He can be reached on Twitter @StudentRegent or via email stregent@unm.edu.