Review: Constellations provides a unique love story

Every life decision has a minimum of two outcomes. Some have significantly more than that.

The multiverse theory, according to the Oxford English Dictionary, states that every one of these decisions at a quantum level creates parallel universes in which each of the different outcomes of those decisions occurs.

The plot of “Constellations” by Nick Payne revolves around this idea. For the duration of the play, audience members follow the relationship(s) of Marianne and Roland, two ordinary people whose fates become tied from the moment they meet.

What makes this one so unique is the way the audience experiences their interactions. “Constellations” has only two characters the entire play, but Marianne and Roland are each played by three different people. This is to help viewers keep up with which universe they are in for each scene.

This play guides viewers’ minds through the idea that the number of universes is infinite, with each one parallel to the others. At the same time, “Constellations” also keeps the audience interested by following the realities of one relatable couple.

We don’t only see one path taken by the lovers – we see them all. From the moment they meet to the moments their relationship(s) face their biggest tests, audience members witness the outcome of every choice in certain situations, jumping through time and space to see the different possible evolutions of their lives.

Some outcomes are heartwarming and full of love. Others are heartbreakingly tragic. Every decision Roland and Marianne make alters their destinies – both individually and together.

However, the most fantastical element of this production is not found in this aspect. It’s in the fact that each scene is conveyed beautifully without a single piece of scenery or soundtrack.

The only props are two metal blocks used as chairs for the characters in the visually blank setting.

Meanwhile, the only track used is the high-pitched ringing played to signal the transition from one universe to another in each scene.

Though the play was ultimately done well, the lack of setting is a bit confusing at first. Some may find the first 20 minutes or so hard to follow. Fortunately, the dialogue eventually starts working in every scenario to fill in the blanks and provide the setting in your mind.

The actors use their words and actions to masterfully place the crowd where they want them. The conversations between Marianne and Roland paint the picture of where we are without straying from casual language or using any kind of narration. It’s truly an impressive feat to accomplish in an hour and a half play.

All six actors and actresses portrayed Marianne and Roland really well, but the best would have to be Virginia Benitez-Jones, the first Marianne we see. She best portrays the version of Marianne who is scattered and often unable to find the words she wants to say. Her pleasantly quirky performance early on in the story turned into a powerful one full of emotion. Her despair and fury are sure to stick with viewers reflecting on the play for days to come.

Her chemistry with Kevin W. Lawrence sealed the deal for him as the best Roland in this critic’s opinion. He responded to her fluidly and emotionally, allowing the audience to forget they were watching a play rather than the personal moments between two people in love.

Jodi Benavides and Christine Anderson did a wonderful job of capturing the heart-wrenching moments between Marianne and Roland as well, especially toward the end.

Owen Martin and Bryan Johnston put their own unique twists on Roland that allowed the audience to see how different this character really is in each universe. The dynamics they bring to him with their subtle differences in outfits and mannerisms is a powerful element of this production.

Overall, “Constellations” is an emotional roller coaster with a little bit of everything. Romance, science, conflict, and tragedy are woven throughout the many lives of Roland and Marianne as we witness the effects of the multiverse through them. It’s definitely worth the ride to see, as long as you don’t mind a story with an abrupt beginning and ending. Just clap when everyone else does and you’ll be fine.

This show contains mature themes and adult content that may not be suitable for children. These mainly consist of profane language and a little bit of domestic violence.

“Constellations” runs from Feb. 26 – 28. Each night’s show starts at 7:30 in the UNM Experimental Theater located in The Center for the Fine Arts. Tickets are $12 for general, $10 for faculty and seniors and $8 for students.

Skylar Griego is a culture reporter at the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @TDLBooks.