National Fiery Foods show this weekend

Things are going to get hot this week at Sandia Resort & Casino for the 28th annual National Fiery Foods & Barbecue Show.

The National Fiery Foods & Barbecue Show is an annual three-day trade show for those in the spicy food industry, including, but not limited to, growers, vendors and cooks.

The show includes demonstrations of spicy food products and recipes, entertainment related to spicy food, like pictures with Chile the Kid, and discussions of films and movies about spicy foods. There will also be multiple booths presenting samples of all kinds of spicy foods from mild marinades and rubs to fiery salsas and barbecue.

Dave DeWitt, president of the National Fiery Foods & Barbecue Show, said those planning to attend can expect a modernized convention this year in addition to the traditional vendor set-ups and entertainment.

“It’s difficult for us to do cooking demonstrations at Sandia Resort & Casino because they don’t want us cooking in their rooms, so we tried cooking outside, in a tent, and we just couldn’t manage it practically. So, (this year) we have multimedia presentations,” DeWitt said.

He said these presentations will be used in place of live cooking demonstrations as well as for film and book discussions following them.

“This year we’re trying to make it as modern as possible,” he said.

Demonstrations and presentations will be held on Saturday and Sunday by Jim Garcia, an independent restaurant and hospitality consultant, Kelly Urig, author of “New Mexico Chiles: History, Legend and Lore,” DeWitt and Kate Wheeler, owner of Savory Spice Shop in Santa Fe.

This new modern aspect won’t take away from those selling products during the trade times of the event or those providing entertainment, DeWitt said.

There will be multiple booths exhibiting at this year’s show, including Sadie’s,

Volcanic Peppers and Puckerbutt Pepper Co. For the full list of the 2016 exhibitors, visit the National Fiery Foods & Barbecue Show website.

This year’s schedule for March 4 through 6 is as follows: Friday from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m, Saturday 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Sunday from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Tickets are $15 per person, per day for adults and $5 per person per day for children 7-18. Ticketmaster also has a special promotion where tickets can be purchased for $12 per day with no service charges if bought at the Sandia Casino box office.

Skylar Griego is a culture reporter at the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @TDLBooks.