Lee Sillery, owner of Push Drive Studios, explains some of the equipment he uses. Push Drive Studios is an Albuquerque based recording studio on the corner of San Pedro and Constitution. 

Recording venue helps local artists craft their sound

Independent music production in Albuquerque has never been more appealing, now that Push Drive Studios is in operation. The recording venue debuted only two years ago and has already garnered a reputation among musicians across the city.

Push Drive is led solely by audio engineer Lee Sillery, a local musician and long time contributor to the Albuquerque music scene.

Sillery's impact began when he started recording bands in his house with low-end equipment, capturing a sound and energy that would go on to characterize his production style.

“It was probably more than ten years ago,” Sillery said. “I started in a detached garage with a four-track, a few SM-57 microphones and a drum set, just making up songs.”

In 2009 he became acquainted with guitarist Austin Morrell, currently of the rock band YOU, with whom Sillery formed the noise-rock quartet Gusher. Sillery produced all five Gusher records over two years, and the band gained a sizable following by touring nationwide.

“His ear for getting bands to sound the way they want is uncanny,” Morrell said. “Lee’s a great audience at the same time as he is a producer.”

Sillery was then hired by Co-Lab Entertainment as their in-house audio engineer. The production studio sold art and merchandise in addition to music, though eventually went under around mid-2014.

At which point Sillery inherited the establishment, helping local artists produce music ever since.

“[Push Drive's mission] is to get Albuquerque’s music out there,” he said. “I’m a musician and I understand how it is. I’m just trying to provide a service to the community and trying to make art.”

Most of Sillery’s recordings share a distinctive sound thanks to his production style. He opts to capture the music live as it serves for a more organic product and embodies the authentic atmosphere of the performance.

“The way he uses the live room allows bands to put on the performance of their life,” Morrell said. “And then be totally amazed by how great it sounds from the very first listen.”

A staple technique of his is to deliberately avoid using a metronome, respecting the fluidity of the music without confining it to technical cues.

“If I walk into the room and listen to you, that’s how I want it to sound,” Sillery said. “It’s about capturing the spirit and essence of the performance. You’re not getting the entire picture otherwise, just a piece of it.”

With Push Drive, Sillery has helped engineer albums for a myriad of local acts, such as The Howlin’ Wolves, Sun Dog, CRTTRZ, YOU, Ghetto Blast, Hanta and more.

YOU drummer Eric Lisausky worked on the band’s LP “Phase” at Push Drive Studios, which was was released in early 2015. He said Sillery isn't afraid of offering his honest opinion of a music sample, which eventually makes it better. 

“[Sillery] is nice enough to tell you your track was amazing and honest enough to tell you if it wasn’t so great,” Lisausky said. “I love how he urges bands to track live. The space automatically creates an energy which is enough business and fun while making jams with your buddies. No ego, no fronting, great prices for sessions, always a good recording.”

Check out Lee Sillery’s band Constant Harmony at https://www.facebook.com/ConstantHarmony and Push Drive Studios online here at https://www.facebook.com/pushdrive

Audrin Baghaie is a culture reporter for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @DailyLobo.