Performer take the stage during the 2016 annual Chile Fest Sunday August 28, 2016 at Shepard of the Valley church. The festival was organized to raise funding for Habitat for Humanity. 

Local festival brings spice while helping local charities

A coalition of local vendors, crafters and artists gathered over the weekend amid upbeat live music and the smell of roasting chile to celebrate the 19th Annual Chile Festival, an arts and crafts fair focused on giving back to the community in a uniquely New Mexican way.

The festival, hosted by Shepherd of the Valley Presbyterian Church, is a two-day fundraiser that takes place every August to support Habitat for Humanity, an international nonprofit aimed at providing housing for impoverished families.

For the benefit of the charity, local New Mexican traders and artists offered their unique products for all to see and purchase at the fundraiser. The bazaar section of the festival was loaded with booths of vendors selling handmade trinkets, toys, paintings and books, among other authentic craft items.

Executive Director of Greater Albuquerque’s Habitat for Humanity Joan Costello noted the importance of the festival and its importance for the organization.

“This is the second largest fundraiser for us in Albuquerque, and once you get involved, you can’t get uninvolved,” Costello said. “The Chile Festival is so important for us because we have to touch so many areas, regarding getting families into the program and raising money for the homes.”

Various activities are abundant throughout the festival, including silent auctions, carnival games, live musicians and, of course, chile roasts that are scattered within and around the church. This year, guitarist DJ Armijo, house band Ambush Brass and classic rock group The Hanks all took to the stage live at the event.

Local publisher Hank Estrada, representing author Antonio Garcez, was invited to the festival to promote Garcez’s books. Under Red Rabbit Press LLC, Estrada has published 16 books by Garcez, all regarding the supernatural ghost stories of the southwest.

“I got an invite to participate at the Chile Festival here and it’s been great so far,” Estrada said. “Garcez is an award winning author here in the state so it’s exciting to share his work here. Surprisingly lots people and followers of folklore are present, as well as ghost story hunters too.”

Surrounding the vendor booths were multiple service trucks representing a variety of charities from the Red Cross to the Animal Humane Shelter. Festival attendants willing to help out the respective associations could do so with ease. In the span of an hour, one is able to donate blood, attain a flu shot and adopt a new pet all within the same square mile.

The conglomeration of entertainment and community service have become key themes with each iteration of the event.

Chile Festival 2016 was headed this year by church elder and event director Allen Schlegel who, since last fall, has been working with Shepherd of the Valley to make ensure the smooth run of the event.

In 19 years the Chile Festival has raised over $160,000 for Habitat for Humanity, and the event is only becoming even more well-known across the state.

“It takes a lot of work and a lot of time. I started putting the key leaders together in October and by early January most of the committees were in place. They’ve been working pretty much since then,” Schelgel said. “I have enjoyed putting in the effort. This was my first year as Chile Festival director and I wanted this one to be the biggest and best event we ever had. Next year is our 20th anniversary, so I’m going to have to top myself.”