UNM set to conduct a national search for engineering dean

According to a University press release, Provost Chaouki Abdallah announced the launch of a search for a new dean of the School of Engineering, with Graduate Studies Dean Julie Coonrod leading search efforts.

The selected candidate will assume leadership of the school from Joseph Cecchi, according to the release, who held the position since 2014 and previously from 2000-2009.

The position — the standalone endowed deanship at UNM — offers an opportunity to lead the School of Engineering, and continue the efforts toward excellence in research and scholarly achievement at both national and international levels, according to the press release.

According to the release, this individual will possess an articulated vision for the School of Engineering, as well as proven leadership ability. This includes stellar communication, negotiation, promotion and problem-solving skills.

The chosen dean, who will report to the provost and executive vice president for academic affairs, is the primary academic and administrative officer of the faculty of the School of Engineering, according to the press release.

According to the release, the dean will assume a focal leadership role in further development of the School of Engineering’s disciplines toward national and international excellence, in addition to a solid commitment to research and teaching.

The dean is also responsible for advancing and promoting the school in areas of instruction, research, fiscal management, development and personnel, the release states.

According to the release, the dean manages an annual academic budget of approximately $17 million for the School of Engineering, in addition to administration of several departments including: Chemical and Biological Engineering, Computer Science, Mechanical Engineering and Nuclear Engineering.

The chosen dean will also handle oversight of various research centers, including: the Center for Biomedical Engineering, the Center for Emerging Energy Technologies, the Institute for Space and Nuclear Power Studies and the Center for Water and the Environment.

According to the release, applications are currently being accepted through UNM Jobs.

Applications will be received until the position is filled, according to the press release. This is a full-time faculty executive position with a preferred start date of July 1.